Awake

I woke up and Connor was checking on Jay. "Kat you know Ava Bekker" I nodded "Hi Ava" "Kat good to see you" I looked back to Connor "How is he?" "He is stable so we just need to wait for him to wake up" I turned to Noah and picked him up "Baby boy" Ava looked at us "How old is he?" "3 days" "Awww. Why was Jay back so early?" "I had decided to go back to 51 this shift and Jay wanted to look into a message I had got but then Hailey and Erin got shot so he decided to step in and help I'm guessing" "Guessing?" "I spoke to Ruzek on a call we had got about a woman being stabbed it was related to this case but anyway Ruzek said Voight wouldn't let Jay back out until he was meant to be back at work" "We will leave you now" I nodded slightly "Thanks guys" They walked out and Will walked in.
"How are you holding up?" "As good as I can" Will walked over "I'm on my break let me take Noah" "Will I'm ok he will need feeding soon anyway" "Can I call anyone to be here with you?" "51 is on shift so Kelly is" "Is there anything I can do?" "What's his chances of remembering us?" "He didn't hit his head so he will remember you both" I sighed in relief "I will leave you to feed Noah" "Thanks Will" Will walked out and I opened the diaper bag. I took out the cover and threw it over my shoulder. I started feeding Noah while answering texts. Noah stopped feeding so I put him in his pram I opened the diaper bag and put away the cover then took out a little teddy and placed it next to Noah. I turned my attention back to Jay who was now lying staring at me.
I didn't say anything I just got up and hugged him "Watch it" I let go of him and sat back down again. "Has anyone told you how beautiful you are" "You don't get to say that" I stood up and walked to the door "Where are you going?" "To get Dr Rhodes or Dr Bekker" I walked out and Connor was standing at the nurse's station "Dr Rhodes" "Kat how is he" "He's awake" "I'll be in in a minute" I nodded and walked back to Jay's room. "I need to phone Kelly" "Do it shortly" I walked over to the side of Jay's bed and kissed him. "If I get that call from your brother once more you can sleep on the sofa" "That's not fair" I gave him a serious look and Connor walked in. "I'm going to take Noah for a walk and phone Kelly and tell Ruzek" I smiled and pushed the pram out of Jay's room. I took out my phone and dialled Kelly's number while walking towards the waiting room. "Kat" "Hey Kelly" "How is he?" "He's awake and Connor is in with him now" "That's good" There was a bit of silence while the bells went off behind him. "Not us so we can come over if you want" "Dani might want to see her brother" "We'll come now then" "Sounds good" "I love you" "I love you too" the line went dead as I reached the waiting room. Erin was back on duty after being cleared. Hailey hadn't been cleared but she had been released from the hospital but she wouldn't sit around waiting to find the guy that shot her. They all stood up once they saw me walking out.

 They all stood up once they saw me walking out

Erin and Hailey walked over. "He's awake and stable I don't know anymore" They all let out a sigh of relief. The Ruzek walked over "Kat this is Officer Vanessa Rojas" I gave her a small smile and I could see the guilt in Ruzek's eyes "Adam there was nothing you could have done" "There was I should have had his back no matter what gun he had" "What gun did he have?" "His normal" I looked down "Did he have a vest on?" "Yeah, I think why?" "Because something doesn't add up" "How?" Hank walked over "Kat's right" "What are you saying" "Jay's a sniper and he would never let his defence down no matter who it was unless it was a kid" "You think it was a kid?" I looked at Kevin and nodded "And if it was he wouldn't say to protect the kid" I looked at Voight as Squad 3 walked in. "We are going to look into this get Jay's bodycam and see if he had it on and check to see if his gun was fired." Hank walked over and put a hand on my shoulder "We are going to get this guy" I nodded "I need to go see 51 please excuse me but if anyone wants to hold Noah you better before Severide gets to him" I smiled and walked over to Squad 3.
 I hugged Kelly then pulled back. "Ok, so I know as much as I said on the phone apart from intelligence have narrowed the search to a kid" Kelly looked at me confused "A kid?" I nodded "Jay is a sniper and wouldn't let his guard down for anyone except a kid" I looked at Dani and she nodded "Kat's right I worked with intelligence and Jay for a while and Jay never let his guard down" I nodded then turned to intelligence. I walked over to Ruzek "Yous can go see him and question him" "Thanks Kat what room?" "836" I turned to Erin "I'll take him so you can go see Jay" I smiled and Erin handed me Noah then followed the rest of intelligence up to Jay's room. I turned back to squad "Dani do you want Noah?" "Of course" I handed Noah to Dani "I need food but Jay is in room 836 if you want to go up" "We'll come to Ridder and Gallo hadn't made lunch when we had left" "Ok" I walked over to the pram and pushed it into the ED "Hey Maggie" "Hey Hart" "How's Jay?" "Awake and Stable" "That's a good sign" I nodded and walked to the cafe with squad.