A Journey Ahead of Us

Wednesday, 21st of June

""Where is he?"

"He said he had to go on a short mission but that's it."

"He always does that!" shouted the pinkette angrily. "He always leaves and comes back hoping that we will act as if nothing happened. I'm tired of this."

"Sakura... you know we are ninjas right? We need to go on missions.""

The conversation Sakura had with Naruto a week ago was haunting her. She knew she was just trying to find something to be mad about because she could feel her heart opening up to him again. It scared her.

She was on her way to the gates of the village to collect some herbs for a preparation when she saw a group walking towards her. Her eyes accustomed to the faded light and she saw who it was. "Sasuke..." she tried to walk back towards the village when a voice stopped her in her tracks.

"Sakura?"

A faint smile lit up her face. He did come after her. She turned around to face him, her eyes analysing his body to make sure he wasn't hurt. Of course he wasn't. His clothes were impeccable, well they were already destroyed from his travels anyway, and not a sign of dirt on his face. A D-rank mission was like going on a walk for him. Nonetheless she was still reassured to see him fine.

"I'm home."

She looked up and drowned her eyes into his. For the first time he didn't look away. None of them talked but their silence meant so much more to the pink kunoichi. She caught herself wanting to take his hand and hold it. "No, I can't do that. If I do it it's the end and I'll be back to where I was a year ago." She was the first one to look away not knowing what to do. He frowned at that action. She gazed back at the team accompanying Sasuke.

"Welcome back!" she said with a smile. Her eyes looked at their disheveled bodies. Her smile grew bigger, they were just children. One of them ran up to her.

"Ha-Haruno-san? I... I can't believe I am talking to you. One day I want to become a medic as successful as you. I... sorry."

Before she backed away Sakura took her hand in hers.

"Well then I wish you all the best. Being a medic is about saving people and helping them, you should be proud to have such a dream."

The little girl laughed and ran back to her team. The four of them walked in direction of the tower. They all nodded at the sight of Sasuke.

"I'll go and report to the Hokage. He will be pleased to know what you did during that mission. Thank you, Sasuke-san."

Sakura raised her eyebrows. It was the first time she heard someone calling his name with respect and no hatred or anything like that. Even he seemed surprised.

Both their gaze followed the group walking away leaving Sakura and Sasuke together. She turned around to him with a smirk.

"Sasuke-san, eh? What happened over there?"

"We got attacked. They weren't prepared for that so I fought."

Her smirk turned into a genuine smile.

"Well, you should be proud of yourself then. You being respected by the villagers is a good thing. You can stay here safe now."

"Hn."

He started walking away leaving her behind. She put her head down, maybe he wasn't that different.

"Are you coming?"