She wanted to enjoy things as they were

Monday, 24 July

"Ok hol'up repeat that again, he did what?"

Sakura laughed at her best friend's face. She looked like she couldn't believe what Sakura had just told her. Her eyes and mouth were wide open and her eyebrow rose trying to touch her hairline. After catching her breath Sakura replied.

"When Kakashi told me that he will give me a special squad to go on that mission, Sasuke stopped me from walking out of the room by grabbing my arm and told him that he'll be the one accompanying me."

"I never thought that this day would happen."

"What do you mean?"

"You know, Sasuke caring about someone other than himself."

"Ino... I know you have a problem with him but..." Ino cut her off.

"He tried to kill you and hurt you more than once."

"And if I forgave him," interrupted Sakura. "Don't you think you should do the same? Listen but really listen to me. Sasuke might've acted a certain way back then but things are different now. You can't see it because you never had the chance to get to know him but me and Naruto had the opportunity to. Even Naruto is welcoming him back with open arms... that's Naruto we're talking about... We both know that he puts the happiness of everyone before his own. If he thought that Sasuke was a threat he wouldn't be this way with him."

"Doesn't erase his actions."

"No, it doesn't. Nothing ever will but it is up to us to realise that we need to move forward. Look at us two, we fixed our problems and today we're friends. With Sasuke it might be a bit different, I mean he is different. He was a child when he saw his entire world dead in front of his eyes. His own parents, dead on the floor. It makes sense that he became closed off. On top of that, his brother, the one who murdered everyone, was still alive. His actions might've been extreme but they are justified. If you get to know him you will actually see that he always goes from one extreme to the other. He has a sort of tunnel vision and can only focus on one thing at the time. He is very straightforward and frank which can be seen as arrogant, I'll admit. He doesn't rethink his words and if he doesn't like you, he'll make you know it which can put him in troublesome situations. He never takes advantage of people and always wants to do things himself."

"Seems hard to be around him without messing something up."

Sakura chuckled remembering the time when they travelled and she was sure she had rubbed him the wrong way.

"You eventually get used to it. What I also see is that he is extremely caring and if he likes you he will do everything for you, in his own way of course. It's like... you have to read between the lines with him. He wouldn't come up to you and tell you that you're great but he'll find a way to make you understand it. He is also the most respectful person I've met in my life. You know he thanked me like three times for the birthday dinner I cooked."

Sakura realised that she could go on forever but she stopped herself. She was slowly falling for him again and it was terrifying but so exciting at the same time. Being alone with him felt good, cooking for him and having dinner together in her home felt right.

The butterflies in her stomach were making themselves known again. She crossed her arms on the table and rested her head on them.

"Erase that smile off your face, Sakura. You're not gonna make a move before he makes one, understood?"

The kunoichi's smile grew bigger. She didn't want to make move, she liked how things were for the moment. Her not being sure of his feelings but him showing that he cared... it felt great, it made her feel special.