Stay here

Saturday 22nd of July

"So Sasuke, what do you want?"

Naruto sat down on his sofa while Sasuke stared at him uncomfortably. Deciding to talk to Naruto was a mistake.

He nervously played with the fabric of his poncho, his hand hidden under it to make sure his friend wouldn't see it. He didn't need any help anyway... or did he? He had no idea how to tell Sakura to stay in the village and Naruto was his only hope. The last resort was to ask Kakashi not to let Sakura leave the village but that seemed to be too much of a stretch even for Sasuke.

He bluntly just stared at his friend not knowing what to say. Thanks to the naivety of Naruto he didn't realise how embarrassed Sasuke was so he kept talking.

"Look, I'm happy with you coming over and all, you know? It's not like you but that's cool. But if you come over to just stand and stare I don't know... just let me know in advance?"

Sasuke pressed his lips together annoyed. His friend will obviously never change. Out of panic he improvised something to say.

"Idiot, I'm here to congratulate you."

The blonde's face lit up in excitement.

"Oh that, yeah... I can't believe it! I'm gonna be a dad hahaha. Me? A dad? I'm gonna have a family on my own for the first time. Can you believe it?!" he said it while he brought his hands behind his head. "I'm only 19... I'll just be 20 when the baby will come! It's crazy! Can you believe it? The war ended when I was 17, you left for two years, I married this year in march before you came back a month ago and she is already pregnant haha."

"Things were fast. We are already end of July so when is the baby coming?"

"We learned that she is only three weeks pregnant. It happened shortly after you and Sakura left for your mission. The baby should be here around March next year."

At this moment Sasuke wasn't looking at a 19 years old version of Naruto. He was looking at the twelve year old version of him. He had the same smile on his face that he used to have. Such innocence was radiating from the young man in front of him.

He was genuinely happy for his friend, he will finally get to have a family and know the feeling of going home at night knowing that you will see the people you love most.

"You know... you should start thinking about that too."

Naruto interrupted Sasuke's thoughts and he looked at his friend dumbfounded. What did he mean by that?

"Hn?"

"You know... finding someone, settling down and have a child. We're still ninja but we won't be forever and it'll be too late by then! Look at Kakashi-sensei. Maybe now is the right time for you to find someone to marry. Especially since you turn 20 tomorrow and since you're the last Uchiha alive."

"Marry? Why would I want to marry anyone? And why does my age even matter."

"Because you love one person and you want a family with them, idiot. Because we're getting old!"

Naruto copied the tone Sasuke always used to call him an idiot which made Sasuke smirk. Someone he loved...

"I don't love anyone."

"Well that can only come if you try to get to know someone. And if you let that person open up to you...and now that I say it I realise that it's nearly impossible for you to do that."