Prologue: The Event That Would Change The Earth Forever

— 2 hours before the event —

Is is currently 2022, and the Festival of Light has come to the Mushroom Kingdom.  The Festival of Light was founded in 2021 after the Mushroom Kingdom opened their doors to the rest of the world after Toadsworth's dying wish.  Many immigrants flocked to the kingdom from all over, the most immigrants coming from the world of Minecraft, Japan, and Inkopolis.   The Festival consisted of lighting large, mushroom-shaped lanterns and sending them into the sky to float up to indicate that the Mushroom Kingdom is always rising upwards. 
The festival lasted 14 days, the length of a Great War back in 2019. The lanterns were always a sight to see no matter how many times you went to see them.  Those who participated in the festival of 2021 said that no matter how many lanterns you see, you can never get over the beauty of watching the warm light float in eyeshot for days at a time.  Just about everyone in the Mushroom Kingdom attended this festival last year, but this one was going to have a new event on the first night.  A giant lantern would be lit to hover over the castle for the 14 days of the festival.  And today was going to be that first night.

To the Mario Bros residence

Luigi: Come on, Mario! The lantern will be lit in 2 hours! We need to hurry if we want to see it!

Mario: awwwwwweee. But Luigi, I'm busy with my spaghetti right now.

Mario was sitting at the table with a plate of spaghetti across from him.  The fork slumps over in the spaghetti.

Mario: What do you mean you want to dump me?!  I thought we were best friends!

Luigi: (feeling embarrassed for his brother) Come on, Mario. I-I don't think you're spaghetti wants to talk to you right now.  Speaking of which, how are you and Meggy doing?

Mario: (downhearted) Oh, we are doing fine.

Luigi: Doesn't sounds like it to me.  (Takes a seat next to Mario) What's going on bro? Maybe I can help out a little bit.

Mario: Me and Meggy decided to...uh... take a break for a while.  The relationship hasn't been the same since the war.

Luigi: Yeah, an anime lover out to destroy the world can do a load on you.  But hey, she never said she wanted to break up with you, right, Mario?

Mario: (A bit of light returning to his eyes) Yeah, you are right, Luigi. Maybe there's still hope sometime soon.

Luigi: Well, we've got the Light Festival for the next two weeks, Bowser's birthday coming up next month, and you and Meggy are supposed to be going on a trip with each other by the end of the year.

Mario: (changing the subject)Oh wow, look at the time, we are running late.  We'd better catch up with Glitchy before he leaves us behind.

Luigi: (confused) you never give a crap about what Glitchy's up to or a time he set.

Mario: Well today marks a new me.  The light festival is practically a New Years for the mushroom kingdom.

Luigi: (smiles) you're right, Mario, and I'm proud of you for deciding to take a change of heart for Glitchy.

Mario: Lantern lights in 1 hour, better get going if we want to catch it and get as much spaghetti from the Italy booth later!

Luigi: I just tried to get you to leave a while ago.

Mario: Well, now I'm ready! So let's a go!

Mario and Luigi make their way to the main walkway that was set up a few days back for the grand lighting of the giant mushroom. They were met by the rest of the group at the line into the castle grounds.