Chapter 8: Aeterna Remedium

The guard stood very still with his gun aimed into the cell. No one could tell what he was about to do or who he was about to shoot. No one moved. No one breathed. Time had seemed to stop completely as the gun trailed around the room and everyone felt like the barrel was on them. Ace stared at the guard's finger, which was wrapped around the trigger. He watched closely as his finger tightened ever so slightly, and the gun twitched in his hand a bit. The guard was nervous. He knew that they would escape.

Aeterna Guard: I'm sorry it came to this.

He aimed down a bit and fired a shot. Everyone jumped and some cowered down from the loud noise and the adrenaline rushing through everyone prevented them from knowing who was hit. The guard bolstered his weapon and began to walk away.

Aeterna Guard: Next time I'll aim for the head.

Everyone looked at each other up and down and Ace drew a breath and exhaled when he couldn't find anyone with a gun wound, until he saw Mario double over and fall to the ground.

Meggy: Mario!

Melony: Oh god! Mario!

Belle: What the hell!?

Bob: Hes sHoT!?

Luigi: Why the hell did he shoot him!?

Ace: Mario! Are you alright?!

Mario: Ah...Ouch...Y-Yeah. I-I'm lucky he aimed for my side and not my head.

Meggy: He still shot you! That's not okay! He could've killed you!

Mario: *pained* Yeah well he was a terrible shot.

He laughs a bit and when he coughs, he spits some blood onto the floor.

Ace: He hit a vital organ, Mario. We need to get you medical attention immediately.

Mario: I'll live. Don't you worry about me.

He tries to stand, but doubles over in pain and clutches his side when trying to take a step. Meggy and Ace caught him and Meggy leaned in until she was inches away from him.

Meggy: You are not moving, do you understand?

Mario: Meggy. Honey. I'm fine. Really.

Meggy: No you're not! He put a freaking bullet into your side!

Mario: Let me walk, M.

Meggy: No!

Ace: She's right, Mario. Don't test her patience.

Mario: Test her patience? We have infinite of that with each other.

Meggy cocks an eyebrow at him.

Mario: We do...right?

Meggy: Sometimes.

Ace: You don't move until we get some help.

He turns to the others.

Ace: Is anyone here a medical expert?

Belle: I have a little. I've treated bullet wounds before aboard the Q1.

Ace: Alright. I need you to help me get him somewhere where we can prop him up.

Belle helped Ace and Meggy carry Mario over to the wall where he was set against it. The others could only watch, wishing they could do something themselves.

Belle: I need to be able to see the wound. Anything sharp?

Meggy: We've got nothing. They took everything we've got.