Extra: Ambush

Very small dinosaurs picked at the remains of what was previously a hadrosaur lying on the ground. Five of the little creatures picked at its flesh and gulped down whatever it could fit in its tiny mouths. They heard the sound of an approaching engine and leaped off of the Hadrosaur and into the bushes when Mario and Axol passed by in their Zaegram.

Compsognathus: Screeee!

Mario: How much further?

Axol: Not far. We are about two klicks out.

Mario sat in the passenger seat and meddled with a radio, trying to get a signal strong enough to make contact with Ace and his crew. He thought he heard static for a bit when they entered a clearing, but it was short lived as it blacked out immediately.

Mario: Dammit.

Axol: Keep trying. We are almost there.

Mario kept trying at the radio and he struck luck as it started making noise again and he called into the speaker, hoping to reach Ace and his Trencher.

Mario: Ace! Ace!? Do you hear me?

Ace: ...Mario? How did you establish connection all the way back from T.M?

Mario: We aren't in Terras Maiden...but Ace! You need to turn around! Now!

Ace: Woah! Slow down! Why?

Mario: Axol found a Carnotaur at the location you're about to enter. Gerard never explained if it was just one or a family of them.

Ace: Mario, come on...A Carnotaurus is nothing compared to what we've dealt with before.

Mario: No! You're not-

???: Ace, what is that!?

Ace: What the hell?

Mario: Ace? Ace!

???: Is that a man on that thing?

Ace: Go...Go! Turn around!

The sound of tires spinning through dirt and debris filled the comms until it became just static.

Mario: Ace? *to Axol* Go faster!

Axol puts more gas into the accelerator and speeds up to catch up to the downed signal. They broke into a small clearing and noticed a Trencher in the distance. It was Ace's.

Mario: Over there!

Axol stops the Zaegram about twenty feet away from the back of the Trencher and Mario jumps out and runs over to it. He felt his heart pounding as he slowly walked around the side of the vehicle, hoping he wouldn't find anything that would repel him. He took a deep breath and peeked around the side and almost vomited as he recoiled to the massive amount of blood on the driver's side door. It dripped to the ground as it was still fresh. He gulped as he walked closer to the side door to try and open it. He thought he saw someone crouching inside and knocked on the window carefully. He was met with the heavy metal door connecting with his head as he fell backwards and someone had jumped out and had a pistol to his head.

Mario: Ace! It's me!

Mario had his hands out in surrender and opened an eye to see Ace with both hands on his pistol and bringing it back slowly. His eyes were wide with fear at what he almost did.

Ace: I...I thought you were him.

Mario: I was who?

Ace: I...I don't know. It was a man, who looked like you...but dressed in this brown cloak of sorts...He was riding on the back of that Carnotaur like it was his pet. It...It was terrifying.