Chapter 8: Renewal

- Three Weeks Later -

Mario stood still, looking out amongst the stars before him. He had his hands clasped behind his back and stood a few feet away from the controls to move the Quantum. He wore a pearl white suit with a black stripe that ran down the length of his arms, a blue crest on the left side of his chest, other medallions and patches on the right side. Most of the pieces were from E. Gadd's old suit, but he wore them in reverence for him. He also had a white and black Captain's hat with a gold "M" on the front of it.  He speaks out to the space around him, almost like he was talking to someone, but knowing that no one was there to hear him.

Mario: What do I do?

He exhaled as he straightened his gaze back to facing the outside towards the pale yellow planet below. He brought his hand up to his face and brushed the stubble growing around his face. He hadn't left the Command Deck, nor talked to almost anyone since he took over. He mainly spent his time just staring into the empty blankness of space, wondering about the future. Wondering about what to do next. He had multiple times where someone would try to come up to him and talk him out of leaving the Command Deck, but he either wouldn't listen or tell them to leave him be. Most of the time, it would either be Luigi, or SMG4 trying to get him to leave to join them, but every once in a while, Meggy would come up and ask him. The closest he was willing to get to leaving was having a short conversation for a few minutes before going back to just staring out the window when they left. On the dawn of the third week that Mario had stayed up in the same spot of the ship, Meggy approached him again, but this time she would get his attention and make him leave the Command Deck for awhile. She cautiously entered through the wide open space that still was ravaged by multiple scratches and marks from the Cypuler attacks. She stayed silent as she made her way closer to where Mario normally stood, but once she got to the window, he was nowhere in sight.

Meggy: Huh? Where did-?

She turns and sees Mario coming towards her slowly with a grim look on his face. She knew by the look of him he had no sleep in at least two days, but his suit remained in pristine condition.

Mario: *groggily* What now?

Meggy: Hey, uh...it's...it's been a few days.

Mario: I see that...so?

Meggy: I'm saying that...maybe you need a break from up here.

Mario: I can't, Meggy. I need to stay.

Meggy: I know that's a lie.

Mario: Isn't it a Captain's job to stay here?

Meggy: Well...sort of...but we would like to at least see you more often than just coming up here to see you.

Mario: I don't know...

Meggy: Please?

Mario: .....

Meggy: For me? Your brother? Your friends?

Mario: How have you been?

Meggy: Mario, quit changing the subject and answer the question.

Mario: How are you holding up since the incident?