Chapter 4: Dinosaur!

When Mario stepped into his house, he heard Meggy walking around the kitchen and the smell of a freshly made meal hit him and he almost wanted to stay, but he knew that he wouldn't be able to stay. He then walked into the kitchen and met eyes with her.

Meggy: Mario!?

She came towards him and stopped in front of him with a worried look.

Meggy: Are you okay? Where have you been?

Mario: Megs! Honey, I'm fine. I was out with Ace last night.

Meggy: He was with me overnight. He said that you were here, and when I came home with Osiris, you weren't here. I wasn't too nervous about it until I called dad and he didn't pick up.

Mario: I'd really like to tell you now, but I have to do something.

Meggy: Do what?

Mario: For the past few hours, I was at City Hall and going over some issues with current events.

Meggy: Like what?

Mario: For example: Peach formed a coup and separated from town.

Meggy: Your kidding.

Mario: I wish I was. It's a group of about two hundred called the Nomads.

Meggy: That's a stupid name...So they plan on just moving around?

Mario: I don't know much information yet, but there's also a Trencher signal just outside the walls and we watched the signal go dark when it impacted.

Meggy: A Trencher hit the wall again?

Mario: But here's the thing: We have all approved Trenchers inside the walls right now...So what could that be that came to the wall?

Meggy: I have no idea. So yeah, go and check it out, but I want you to come home safely tonight.

Mario: Trust me, I will.

Meggy: I will find your body and kill you again if you do die.

Mario: I'll take note of that.

He steps forward and kisses her and then walks over to the wall and lifts the heavy chrome red shotgun he received from Pronged and his ship last time he saw them. It has already been ages since they last saw the Basroil. He wondered to himself if he would ever have to see it again someday. The sheer weight of it caught him off guard and chased him away from his thoughts and he had to bend over a bit to catch it.

Mario: Woah...I don't remember holding you for the longest time. It's been way too long.

Meggy: Maybe it needs a field run.

Mario: Definitely.

He walks past her and he feels her tap his shoulder.

Meggy: No goodbye kiss?

Mario: Didn't I just-?

The look she was giving him told him not to argue.

Mario: Right...silly me.

He kisses her again.

Meggy: You're lucky.

Mario: I know I am. I'll see you soon, Meggy. I love you.

Meggy: Love you too. Be safe.

Mario: Always am.

He steps out of the house with his shotgun slung over his shoulder and makes his way over to the meeting area as fast as he could. When he got there, he was shocked to see that there was a small hole in the thick wall. Almost like something carved through it flawlessly. Others didn't even notice him as he came up. They were too focused on how something inhuman could carve such an intricate hole in the wall...unless...it was human?