Chapter 11: Mario's "Dream"

Originally in "The Light Festival."

-June, 2021-

Two months after their breakup, Mario and Meggy have been talking very sparingly since. One call or text a week at most. It took Mario several weeks to get the courage to text her back after receiving multiple messages from her, begging to speak to him. He even took the time to hide if she ever came to his house. He was always able to get away with it too because Luigi was still missing from his adventures at his mansion. It took him almost five weeks to finally build the courage to face her again. The guilt of his outburst consumed him too much. He never even told anyone about it either. He just kept to himself, hiding and not leaving the comfort of his home. Countless times, Meggy has come to his door, begging to speak to him, and he always just stayed in his hiding spot. He knew that Meggy knew he was in his home, but he still never answered. He wanted to just run out and apologize when he would hear her start crying and continue to beg for him to speak.
On the dawn of the fifth week, Mario finally decided it was time to face her again.

Meggy: (knocking on door) Mario? Please...it's me again. I don't know how much longer you want to hide in here...but it's starting to scare us...even me. Please just open the door so I can at least talk to you.

Mario: (sigh) Here goes nothing...

Mario unlocks his door slowly and looks up shamefully to meet Meggy's eyes. She was clearly crying earlier and so was he.

Mario: (quietly) What is it?

Meggy: Thank you, Mario...I...I just wanted to...apologize for what I said to you...about...not talking to me anymore. I didn't know you'd take it so seriously.

Mario: I...didn't take it seriously. I...

Mario turned his back to her and walked back into his house, not closing the door. Meggy took this as an invitation to come inside.

Meggy: If I may, Mario, there is an event starting next week...and we were all wondering if...you wanted to join us?

Mario wasn't paying attention to what she was saying one bit. His response would make him feel regretful.

Mario: Sure.

Meggy: That's Great, Mario. I'm glad that you are willing to step out for a while.

Mario: (realizing) Wait what?

Meggy: See you next week then...

Meggy walks out without another word, she places something down onto a table next to the door on her way out, then disappears into the night. Mario saw that what she had left behind was a note, but decided against it to read it. He just let it sit there for 3 days before finally getting the courage to read it. When he did pick it up, tears were brought to his eyes as he silently read it to himself:

Mario,

I don't know what you are going through right now, but all of us are worried about you. I'm worried about you, and I know that you're thinking that that's a lie, and break it to you, it's not. I truly am worried about you, Mario. I've asked around, and no one has seen you leave your house for weeks. Even Saiko and SMG4 are starting to worry.
Mario, you know that because you are hiding, you think that we will not worry about you or try to reach out to you.
I know this is still very sensitive for you, but I understand what happened back in April. The argument just got out of hand and I pushed you too hard when you were just having a bad day. I know that you didn't mean any of the...

Mario couldn't read any further. He tossed it to the side and it hit the ground facing upwards towards him. He looked down at the bottom of the letter where Meggy had signed her name onto the bottom, "Love, Meggy" it said.
Mario felt sick. He didn't know what to do now that she knew that he didn't mean any of it. He wanted her to know, but he never knew she would find out before he told her.