Chapter 13: Archon

A dark fuzziness clouded Meggy's vision. A faint ringing noise coming from her ear.
The sound was barely audible, like she was underwater, perhaps.

Meggy fought and shielded herself as Abbadon gnawed at her, trying to break through her armored suit.

Over time, she swore she could see a faint light start peeking at the corners of her vision. At first, she thought she was dead, seeing and experiencing death.
She had really failed. Her whole family would suffer the consequences of her not being able to free the landing gear of the Quantum. The ship itself won't save everyone either, because if it's trapped, the ship would rather shut down than compromise itself for later harm on any passengers.

Abbadon threw itself off the ground, but instead of it colliding with her and killing her, she heard a low pop through the water as something else collided with Abbadon. She opened her eyes just in time to see something, or someone, dragging it away from her and slam it against the landing gear of the Quantum.

She then started feeling a light pressure on her chest, like something heavy was being repeatedly placed on her, and then lifted off again. The pressure was highly uncomfortable, but she couldn't bring herself to react to it. She couldn't even feel if she was reacting to this pressure at all, but she did feel it and reacted when she felt knuckles pressing down and grinding on her sternum.

The figure pressed Abbadon harshly against the landing gear, freeing some of the wreckage, but Abbadon wasn't about to give up just yet. It snapped it's deadly jaws down on the attacker's arm, and air bubbles escaped its mouth as it screamed in pain.
It eventually ripped its arm out of Abbadon's mouth and pushed it hard against the landing gear, where there was a tree trunk protruding through it. Abbadon's thick armor gave way as a low crunch came to its ears and the attackers' as its armor was pierced by the thick wood.
Abbadon's eyes went wide as it realized what was happening and began thrashing to escape. The attacker, didn't let it get away so easily though, and pressed it deeper into the trunk. Even though they were underwater, the sickening crunch of armor and flesh being pierced was as loud as ever.

???: *faintly* Girl...Human girl...wake up.

Meggy couldn't muster the strength to bring words to her mouth. She just kept focusing on the faint light in the corner of her vision. It almost stung even. The stinging in her chest was equal as pressure continued. She felt air being forced into her lungs. It was warm, like someone's breath. The breath of life.

Abbadon let out a loud shrill as its body became weaker, air escaping its lungs. It could no longer concentrate to breath underwater, and was now drowning. The attacker used this moment to turn and see Meggy, floating freely in the water, unmoving.

???: Meggy...

It turned back towards the massive obstructions and leaned against it with all their strength. The water made it more difficult to press against it, but they weren't about to give up just yet.

???: Nrgh!

They pressed harder and harder, until the obstruction came free and toppled away from the landing gear. Lights lit up around them, exposing the figure completely. Kharvelien treaded water, being completely still, staring up at the lights overhead. He watches as the landing gear adjusted itself slowly but surely for a few moments.
He then turned back to Meggy and pushed off of the ground to catch her.
Before he reached her, he felt something claw at his leg and rip him back to the ground. He turned and saw that Abbadon had freed itself. A red cloud constantly plumed from its side, but it's eyes were filled with as much hatred as when he first met it. Kharvelien charged towards Abbadon once again and threw a quick punch in its snout to disorient it, then reached down to his waist to draw a small knife and stabbed the blade deep into its throat. Abbadon's gurgles for breath were now audible underwater, and multiple shades of red, light and dark, plumed from its neck. Abbadon lifted a clawed paw to its neck to attempt to stop the bleeding, but it was no use. It had already lost too much blood and would die inevitably from blood loss. The genetic-engineered monster of Aeterna Remedium, was finally defeated for good.
Kharvelien turned away from Abbadon for the last time and swam towards Meggy to lift her out of the depths.