Chapter 20: All Is Lost

Mario: Holy shit...I just cheated death.

Mario was sitting up on an embalming table and saw that a thin cloth had been draped over his head. He swiped off the cloth and realized how cold it was in the room. It probably didn't help due to the fact that he was completely naked and in the middle of a room that could've been no warmer than forty five degrees Fahrenheit. He attempted to climb off of the table, not realizing the feel of cold ground on his feet and shuddered when he exposed himself to the open air. Looking around, Mario could not find any sign of his clothes and instead, took the cloth that lay over him previously as the only source of protection he could find. That's when he noticed the features on his body. He noticed multiple cuts, scrapes, and deep burns on his arms and looked all around his body to see that it was a similar trend all around him. He was covered head-to-toe in dark burns and other skin injuries.

Mario: How am I even alive?

He continues to slowly walk around and look at all the items scattered throughout the dimly lit room. He looked up to the ceiling to see that there were only two of the six lights on in the room.

Mario: Maybe the power is still out throughout the ship. Did our plan to reactivate the power even work at all?

He did a few laps around the morgue, looking at all the unnerving tools and attire that is used on the dead.

Mario: Do we actually do this up here? Why not just send them out into space? Isn't that the proper "burial" up here?

A sound was heard from outside the double doors to the morgue and caught Mario off guard as his hearing was sensitive from being "dead" for a whole week. He thought it might've been someone coming to check on his body. So he ran across the room as silently as he could and his underneath a metal table with a drape over it. There was just enough space for him to see underneath if he laid down on the cold ground beneath him. Watching with curiosity, Mario waited for whatever was outside of the room to enter, and he saw Meggy walk in with some sort of tray in her hands. That's when he heard the loud gasp and the sound of metal clattering against the ground. He dared to take a peek from the covers and saw Meggy standing still, staring at the empty table before her. She was fighting tears and breathing heavily with her hand over her mouth. Mario so badly wanted to clamber out of his hiding spot to greet her, but if its been a whole week, then she'd surely pass out. He instead watched her as she slowly neared the table, moving some items around before turning to look around the room.

Meggy: Mario? A-Are you here?

Something seemed off with her voice. She seemed much quieter, more reserved with her speech. The way she haphazardly picked up the items she dropped gave away to Mario that she hadn't been sleeping recently and couldn't concentrate on what she was doing. Once she picked up the tools she was carrying, she set the tray down on the table and started pacing around the room, seeming to be searching for him. Mario crept backwards as she neared his table. When she reached his table, Mario felt an overwhelming urge wash over him. He realized how much he had actually missed from her and all his friends since the Quantum Transporter blew up and he fell into his braindead coma. Mario's lip started to quiver a bit as he lay in his spot, listening to Meggy's begging voice.

Meggy: Red? *inaudible* If you're here, please tell me a sign.

Mario did not move from his spot, but instead, moved forward just a bit so he could see Meggy again. He moved back very suddenly when he saw her practically over him. She was leaning against the table he was under now and seemed to be listening for noise. When he thought he would be spotted, he heard a faint sound coming from Meggy, but it wasn't her voice. He thought he was hearing Axol's voice coming from her for a second before seeing the earpiece she was now wearing.