Chapter 3: Tribulation

Mario walked with Ace down the halls of the large Infirmary as nurses helped tend to Meggy and her newborn son, Osiris. Ace, having just witnessed one of life's most beautiful moments, had something else to talk to Mario about. Something was going wrong within the town.

Ace: I know we should be back there celebrating the birth of a child...

Mario: Yeah? But?

Ace: But I was informed just before arrival that something is wrong with the people.

Mario: The people? What could be wrong with them?

Ace: A Tribulation Force if you'd like to call it that.

Mario: What do you mean, Ace? What's the Tribulation Force?

Ace: Mario...There's some things I haven't been telling you and Megan lately...and I-

Mario: Ace...I don't know why you don't tell us that something's wrong...but witnessing Osiris' birth is much more important right now.

Ace: You're right...I...chose the wrong time to say this.

Mario: You sure did. We can talk about this later tonight.

Ace: Alright...Beer's on me.

Mario: You got a deal.

Mario and Ace walk back towards the room where Meggy was with Osiris, who was now blanketed and clothed. He was sleeping peacefully in her arms and she was still tearing up a little from the whole experience.

Mario: How are you, Meggy?

Meggy: I am doing okay...

She looks down to Osiris laying in her arms.

Meggy: But now that he's here...I can say I've never been happier in my entire life.

She nuzzles his nose a bit with her finger and he flinched, but doesn't let out a single cry.

Mario: He's a quiet one.

Meggy: Want to hold him?

Mario: I think he needs-

Meggy: I insist. He's your son.

Mario: Then...I'll gladly take him.

He reaches over and gently takes Osiris into his arms and cradles him gently, watching as he slept. When he moved a bit, Mario thought he was about to start crying, but instead, had barely opened his eyes to look at him, and Mario felt his whole world around him fall apart. Was this true love he was experiencing? He was told at a young age that who he marries will make him happy, but holding his own child will be the happiest moment of his life, no matter what...and he knew right then and there...whoever said that to him was right. He loved Meggy with all his heart...but Osiris had won over every fiber of his being.

Mario: I-I...

Meggy: *softly* It's okay, Mario...

Mario: I-I never thought that...that...

He turns to Meggy again.

Mario: Is this what true...true love feels like?

Meggy: I believe it is.

Mario let's a tear fall from his eye as he holds his son close to him. All the terrors of the past year and a half, gone in an instant. Everything dark in his life was now light as he held the child in his arms. Meggy held out her arms as if she was signaling for him back, and Mario took a small step back as if he was trying to say no.

Meggy: You're already attached. Okay. I'll let you hold him for one more minute.

Mario: *to Osiris* I'd do anything to hold you for the rest of my life.