Chapter 7: Captain's Ruin

Lights flashed red, and Cypuler armies stormed every hall of the Quantum, tearing apart their victims as they screamed for help that would never come. Mario was on the Command Deck, fending off a massive swarm of them, along with the four others who were with him. Meggy was cradling a lethally injured E. Gadd in her arms as she knelt on the ground checking his vitals. The seemingly leader of the attack was standing in front of Mario, sword in hand and watching him with a menacing look to its eyes.

Mario: You son of a bitch! I'm gonna kill you for that!

???: There's no need to...He's already a dead man.

- 15 minutes earlier -

Mario, Meggy, Desti, Tari, and E. Gadd stood facing the armada that had just walked into the room along with the massive proposed leader of the attacking troops. It wore a shiny black coat of armor that seemed to have a faint green glow to it. It looked like death himself was standing in front of them.

???: So...You're the ones Lord Traviere would not shut up about.

Mario: ...Yeah! So what?

???: I was informed...that you may still be alive. It's not surprising that you still are.

Meggy: Well we can't die!

She takes a step forward, feeling the pain setting in on her ankle.

Meggy: *wincing* But maybe we can feel pain.

???: I'd like to test if you're actually able to survive my army.

Mario: Bring it!

Meggy: Mario...don't aggravate it.

Desti: He's right! We can take them! Give us all you got!

???: ...Very well then...Cypulers! Make them beg for their lives!

The leading creatures ran past it and towards the group. Meggy shot one in the side, while Desti dealt the killing blow once it was immobilized. Tari was able to evade the attacks of some and shot at others coming towards her while Mario pumped shots into other victims. Meggy was able to get a quick glance of their leader fleeing the Command Deck while fending off a swarm of the Cypulers rushing her.

Meggy: He's running!

Mario: Not for long!

Mario pushes a Cypuler off of him that had tried to jump him and ran for the exit, not wanting to let whatever that thing was to escape. He ran for some time until he came across a long hallway he knew as the Quantum Mall. He breathed loudly as he tried to catch his breath and look around for the being.

???: I am your demise, Mario...Give in and maybe I will give you and your friends a painless death.

Mario heard the voice all around him like he was standing next to him. He spun around every time he heard a word come from the creature.

Mario: Where are you!?

???: I am here...*distant* or I am there... *laughing* There's still much you need to learn about us.

Mario: Well, I do know this. Your kind doesn't like lead in your face.

???: *snarls*

Mario saw a faint green light come from his peripheral vision and he swung his shotgun towards the object to block whatever was coming at him and it clanged against a long, poison green scythe.

Mario: Holy fuck...

???: Like it?

The being swatted his Scythe and Mario fell to the ground and watched as his shotgun slide out of reach from him.