Chapter 12: Death Rising

Melony: My god...It's...It's horrible...

Tari: It looks worse than the meteor shower of '22.

Ash and fire still rained from the sky, and the sky was turning red and black with soot. Notex lifted up his weapon and sheathed it and took a look around himself. The scene was worse than he had ever imagined.

Notex: This...This brings back some memories.

Rainz: The great battle of Durra. A humiliating defeat for us.

Mario looked around from his position, still pretty confused about his and Meggy's vision, or...dream walking experience. He looked and saw three Hadrosaurs. Two were adult, and one was an infant. The bodies were huddled around the infant like they were trying to protect it and give their last goodbyes.
This brought a tear to his eye and he could only turn away and think about if that family of dinosaurs was himself and Meggy, clutching Osiris, about to let themselves be devoured by a destructive and unstoppable force.

SMG4: ...I just don't understand. Why did we have to go through this?

Rainz: It's just the natural order.

Notex: And we found ourselves on the edge of old and current times.

Axol: They're not wrong. In about forty million years, the world will begin to prepare for Humans to inhabit the Earth.

Tari: But...doesn't other Extinction events happen?

Mario: ...I'm pretty sure. But those aren't supposed to happen for a long time, right?

Rainz: The meteor struck the ocean. Or at least part of it. All costal areas will be underwater within the hour. And because the meteor heats up the atmosphere, storms will form and hurricanes never before seen will take over the entire Earth. For how long...I don't know.

Meggy: And a great flood will wash the Earth, wiping everything in existence...

Mario: What?

Meggy turns, fear creasing her face.

Meggy: I know what Rainz means. A great flood. Of...I don't know...Biblical proportions.

Axol: So you're saying that...events linked to...biblical events are to happen?

Meggy: "Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made."

Mario: You...memorized it?

Meggy: I had to. You know I get bored sometimes. I tend to read when I get bored.

Luigi: My question is: When has those seven days begun?

Notex: ...It began when me and Rainz discovered the tablet.

Everyone turns to face Notex.

Rainz: What do you mean when we discovered the Tablet?

Notex: Don't you get it? The meteor strike was seven days away when we discovered it for the first time. That means...it'll happen today.

Meggy: The meteor strike did hit the ocean, right?

Luigi: Right. What are you getting at?

Meggy: Just like Rainz said, the meteor will cause flooding of all costal areas, and whatever doesn't flood right away will be buried beneath water within hours.

Belle: That means that we need to get out of here immediately.

Meggy: But we can't. The Quantums...No one was piloting them...So they're probably destroyed by now.