CHAPTER 48 - Strong Scent

I returned to Poseitheas, skipping lunch. I swam to my palace and my council already anticipating my presence. "Any new updates?" I turned to Kieran as his scarred chiseled body revealing his victories from battles. The silver-white hair man was furious as usual. "Your highness, why can't we ambush the kingdom?" he questioned eagerly.

"Kieran, for goodness sake; I do not have the ability to morph merfolk into humans and the kingdom is inhabited by bloodsuckers and mages! We will not even be able to destroy their gates as none of you ever step on the land!" I reasoned him. "Your highness, you can cause massive destruction on them!" he is determined. "And kill the innocence? Never! Kieran, Sia has taught us to be compassionate to the defenseless and there are many innocent people in that kingdom! Some were tortured, humiliated, and ruthlessly treated. I will not harm those people!" I roared as he remained his eyes down.

"Any new information on Alon's whereabouts?" I questioned. "No! But there was news by Leader Pearl that he went hiding!" Kieran replied. "Very well! How about the barrier I built at Aurum?" I asked. "As for now, there is no rebellion by Queen Freya!" he responded. "Good!" I nodded. "The young blood?" I asked, regarding the new warriors I have chosen to defend the kingdom. "Their skills are getting better each day for a newbie!" he was not pleased with their performance. "They are young blood for a reason! Continue monitoring them!" I commanded and he nodded.

"Queenie!" a little mermaid; barely five-year-old swam towards me. "Yes, dear?" I asked and I placed her sitting on my tail. "I do not have friends!" she cried softly. "I will be your friend! What is your name?" I smiled as I brushed her scarlet hair. "Ava!" she smiled with her ice green eyes. She grinned happily. "Your highness, please forgive me for my negligence!" a wavy scarlet wavy-hair woman swam towards us. "Mummy!" the little girl cried as she swam towards her mother. "Mummy, this my friend; Queenie!" she introduced me. "Your highness!" her mother bowed; I smiled as she held her daughter in her embrace and they left. I waved at little Ava.

I swam to the training ground of Poseitheas and I monitored my warriors combating against each other. I saw Kieran was dissatisfied with their progress as he kept yelling at them. I realized they were exhausted; they had been training for 6 hours straight. "Kieran!" I called and he swam towards me. "Our warriors are bushed! Look at their faces; the way they swing the swords! They are getting slovenly." I explained. 

"But they only trained for six hours! We usually train for twelve hours straight!" he disagreed with my decision. My dad is loving but he is a stern man too. Despite I am his daughter; I have to train with the warriors. If my dad is not convinced by my progress, I will have an extra training session with the commander. "Alright then, you are the best combatant in this kingdom and I am confident that my dad has trained you well!" I agreed with Kieran and I return to the palace to complete my duties for the day.

By the time, I finished my obligations. I was tired so I decided to remain in the palace for the night. I laid on my seaweed bed as I dozed off. I was awakened by a strong scent. I rubbed my eyes, noticing it was dawn. Ocaran was the first thought that came to my mine; Lucian was starving. I have not fed him for months and he was getting weaker. I left my palace and swam to the shore; changing into the long sleeve green dress. 

I arrived at the palace but there was no trace of Lucian. I followed the scent; I recognize the scent; it was musky and earthy. This scent belonged to Lucian. I indolently strolled in the garden searching for him. I walked past the dungeon and I entered the woods. It was dark and eerie, as I passed the thick woods until I reached a large lake; the water was crystal clear and the night sky was evident. The lake was gleam by the twinkling stars. Peculiar flowers were growing surrounding the lake.