6. Captain perfect

...And he strut away...

Today was the day of the second and last test.
Afterwards, we'll be ranked.

This morning I saw Eren, Mikasa and Armin again and Eren reassured me: "Just concentrate and you'll beat everybody's asses, I'm sure."
I smiled at him. Eren told me it wasn't too bad.
These words definitely managed to perk me up and now, standing on the battle grounds, I felt hot blood streaming through my body.

More and more people came and even though I was sure of myself before, a little nervousness came through.
On the other side, I saw Jean concentratedly listening to the trainees-commander.

————
"Daddy, I'm nervous.", I said.

"That's normal, (Y/N). I'd be worried about you, if you weren't.
Look, we always fear the outcome and question our abilities and our actions, which is normal and it's great! If we wouldn't, how would we be able to move on?
The most important thing is..."
————

"... to not let the fear blind your path.", I whispered.

"Huuuh?", a dark-haired girl with a potato in her hand looked sceptically at me and moved away a bit.
With widened eyes I took the potato and threw it away without letting Shadis see it.

"WHAT are you DOING?", the girl mourned.

"Shut up or do you want to do penal labor??"

"I'm just here to watch a little. I already have passed the tests...", she said with her eyes fixated on the dirty potato a few metres away from us. She slowly moved in this direction, saliva flowing down her mouth.
She's crazy.
I energetically pulled her back.

"So, you useless morons, let's start with the fights. 'Hope ya used your free day not to lay on your fat butts, but to train a little!", Shadis shouted, as usual.

I watched him and my breath faltered, as I saw corporal Levi stepping to us from behind Shadis.
I didn't look at him this time and tried concentrating on Shadis's words, but I felt a hot stare on me and saw Levi looking at me with a cold, unreadable expression.
Then I felt my pulse increasing.

Now I wasn't calm anymore and I felt my body tense real hard.
You can do it, you can do it, I repeated to myself.
Because I was so bad yesterday, I needed to be twice as good today.
Many of the 100 yesterday were sorted out and about 50 were left.

"... find partners!", I heard Shadis say. Oh no, who should I fight with? Jean's on the other side, but he looked at me as well, so I wanted to strut to him.

"Tch.", was what I heard from my back.
Corporal Levi stood directly behind me, causing me to flinch a little.
"You're fighting with me.", he said coldly.

"What?", I couldn't believe what he just said.

"Are you mentally disabled or deaf? Go to your position." His frigid expression burned holes into my soul.

I was staring at him as if I still waited for him to tell me he was joking.
His eyes flickered with annoyance and I felt another shiver crawling down my spine. I guess he wasn't.

I went to the spot he pointed at and forced myself to concentrate. Why would I fight against him now? Against Levi Ackerman? Humanities strongest soldier? Of course I wouldn't win! How could I?! He's the elite of the-

Suddenly I felt a hot pain in my back and realised I was in the floor already. Corporal Levi had moved behind me and struck my back. Painfully I looked up to see his with-disgust-filled eyes.
And it happened again. I made a mistake. How can somebody have this amount of foolishness in themselves?