88. About love and life

..."Levi, do you like Petra?"...

"Huh?"

"Do you like her?", you repeated again, feeling something you hadn't felt before. It was heaviness pulling you down, but there was also candid alleviation making its way and letting the emotion of this long-lasting question finally out.

Levi's expression fell and he asked annoyed:
"What is this kind of question?"

"You know what I mean.", you nudged him from the side, forcing out a small giggle.

Him disinterested:
"No I don't."

You calmly:
"Look, you don't need to lie to me. I know it already, and it's okay. Everyone sometimes has a crush on a person. It's not something you're capable of controlling, so I guess it's good that you chose someone like Petra to become your affection or whatever."

Levi confused:
"Huh?"

"Hey, don't play like you're caught off guard with that, it was time for someone to find it out."
You waggled with your brows.

Levi annoyed:
"Don't fuck with me."

You grinned mischievously.
"I'm not, I'm just curious. I've seen you two for so long and you've never made a move on her. Maybe the time has come and as karma pleads, you're lucky to have exactly me standing by your side as a help."

Levi looked sceptically at you.
"Has Hange drugged your scarf?"

You laughed.
"What? No! Come on Levi, I know your secret, you don't need to hide it."

"Shut up."

You nodded, indicating full understanding, before moving on:
"Well, you can either make it hard for both of us and damage your own success, or just simply give in and speak the truth. I know you have it hard to share you emotions-"

"Shut up, brat."

With a smirk, you shook your head to get rid of a hair-strain covering your face.
"Fine, fight it. But I'll help you, no matter how much you try to withstand."

"Can't you stop being an idiot for once and keep your damn mouth shut, so that no shit emerges from it?", he growled.

"Okay, but therefore you'll need to tell me if you like her.", you countered slyly.

"Moron."

You persistently:
"Say it."

"No."

"No as in 'I won't tell you', or no as in 'I don't like her'?"

"No, as in don't annoy me.", he grunted.

Levi's annoyance was indeed visible and after the return of you two, you continued on contemplating how you could ease him with the confession. You solely needed to make him bring out a tiny yes, then it would be all over. Finally. After all this time, all these weeks, those months, this passing year.
You pensively furrowed your brows, looking down and thinking of what Levi could do to express his feelings towards Petra, without you having to intervene in any form. That would be of course very inefficient.

Inside, you sat down onto the couch, while Levi started lighting up the fireplace again.
You tapped onto you downer lip several times, as you attempted to put yourself into Petra's position.
What would I want?

Levi was finally ready and sat down beside you, turning out to be slightly exhausted from all the wearing of those heavy wooden stacks.
You perceived a deep and low sigh escaping his mouth, as he tried to relax. He rested his head back on his shoulders and leaned against the brown leather-cushions, making you wonder what crossed his mind in this instant.