73. Flat bread

...You last glance was gifted to the window, which showed the obscurity laying upon the darkened world...

-

"...damn, and I was actually convinced of the existence of only three kinds of birds.", Conny brought out.

Armin:
"Huh? Why three?"

"Hear me out.
We have ducks. They swim in water. We have birds, that can fly, of course. And we have earth birds, which are the ones who can't even jump properly. Like chickens for example."

Armin staggered:
"Well, yes... that's actually..."

Conny crossed his arms satisfied.
"See, told ya. Even Armin ma' genius boy is bewildered by my brilliant theory."

Eren bored from the side:
"Guys please stop talking about birds."

Armin pensively:
"But ducks can actually fly as well, right? And I've seen chickens trying that too."

Conny frowning:
"Well..."

"So what are birds even?", Armin put a finger onto his lip, consumed in thoughts.

Conny lingered perplexed for a moment.
"W-well, they have wings... and a beak."

"So what about all the varying species? There are ones in each category with different features. They wouldn't get them randomly, so there has to be a purpose for them as well. Maybe there are a few, who are able to do both-"

"Man, Armin, calm down.", Conny furrowed his brows slightly.
"Why do you have to ruin everything?"

Armin surprised:
"Me? Wh-what?"

"Please shut up, thank you. You both are like the most unnerving people in the world.", Ymir rudely cut off their conversation.

Conny looked at her annoyed.

Ymir glared at him with her lips pressing against each other, as she provocatively snapped:
"What is it baldie? Mad at someone?"

Conny turned to you, ignoring her.
"(Y/N), how are you even able to be around such pessimistic, vulgar and mean human-beings all the time?"

You:
"Huh?"

Ymir shot Conny a waspish glare.

You surprised:
"Do you mean Ymir?"

"And Corporal.", Conny whispered, being attentive, so that nobody could hear him except for the group.

"Yeah, I'm so sorry for you. Isn't it really hard to get along with him?", Eren asked.

You, choosing carefully what to say:
"Well... actually, no. Frankly speaking, he's... kind of really endurable once you get to know him."

Conny reassuring:
"We know he's forced to look out for you and you can't say anything bad about him, but we won't tell anybody. Speak what you truly think."

You slightly taken aback:
"I mean what I said. He's honestly not as bad as you might guess."

Sasha sceptically:
"I don't know (Y/N)... he's really intimidating and scary. Imagine seeing him in the hallways at night. He's like the shadow of a ghost. So double-spooky."

"Aren't you also always arguing with him? And doesn't he like permanently force you to do some kind of obligations and stuff?", Conny continued doubtingly.

You frowned slightly.
"Yes, but that doesn't make him a bad person. He makes us do these things, because it has to be clean everywhere. And the tasks are for our own good. How are we supposed to learn in a different way?"