21. Where is home?

... "Where is the village?" ...

A bright grin appeared on my face as I looked over to Levi.
"Thank you so much Levi!"

Levi stayed silent with an expression I couldn't assign to anything.
After I got back on my horse, we continued on the road.
Levi was extraordinary silent, yes, he was usually as well, but this time it was different.

Me after a while:
"Do you want to talk?", I asked carefully with a glance to him.

Levi just kept his eyes in the distance, not responding at all.

Me thinking:
Okay, he doesn't want to talk. But wait, why does he even let me visit my mom? And why is he accompanying me?

Me:
"How did you know I was going to travel?"

Levi:
"..."

Me wondering:
"Did you ... spy on me?"

Levi looked annoyed at me.
"Why would I? That would be a waste of time."

I quickly blushed.
I did make too fast assumptions, but nonetheless I kept on the subject.

Me:
"Then how you did you know? Did you just by mistake hear somebody walk down the stairs?", I asked amusedly.

He looked even more annoyed.
"This morning I saw you saddling your horse. Idiot."

My eyes widened and I rapidly shut my mouth. He was right, I even saw him this morning.
I was such an idiot.
Internally I slapped my own face and awkwardly continued galloping the horse in silence.

I escaped my thoughts, when noticing that Levi's horse had become a little faster and already passed me.
Then I took the reins and followed.

When Levi saw me participating, he indicated to his horse to quicken too. I took a side look at him and was immediately captivated by his whole appearance.
His strong shoulders and legs moving moving in rhythm with the stallion and his dark hair, which softly fell down, was blowing wildly in the wind.

His eyes turned to me, when he noticed that I was watching him.

He turned away and became even faster.
Him and I were riding in a ridiculously high speed through the vast landscapes, during the middle of the night, and I couldn't help but laugh.
I felt free and I couldn't see any limits in front of me. The stars above us shone brightly enough as that we were able to see our path. There were just me and him.
Levi saw my smile and as he looked forward, he did it too. Levi smiled.
It was a small, tiny one even, but it was there.

Wild flower scents surrounded us.
But most of all, there was freedom.
And I felt, that Levi could feel the same.

-

We finally arrived at the city and tied our horses next to a small building, before continuing our way to my mum's house.
I was so happy to see her again and to tell her about everything I've experienced throughout the last months. She'd be so glad, that I had found such great friends.

Then I realised. Oh god.
Levi was with me. What should I tell her? Who was he to me?
A friend? My commander?
But why would I spontaneously take my own commander with me to fun field-trip. Whereas fun could be described differently...

—————————

POV 2nd person
(Idk how to call it lol)

You guided Levi into a small, forest-like property, which was surrounded by bushes, big, rough and old trees, wild herbs and plants.
Levi could tell that you were lost in thoughts, slightly uneasy and wondered, what you were thinking about, because usually you were more talkative.

He silently glanced over to you and even though he wouldn't admit it, he was captivated by your presence.

You suddenly turned to him to tell him, that he could come in, if he wanted to.
"Levi?"

"Hm?", he grunted annoyed and that made you nervous.

You proposed:
"If you want, you can come in. You don't need to wait outside."

Levi's eyes were focused on the path and could already see the small hut. Coldly he answered:
"I'll be outside."

You, asking again:
"Are you sure, it's-"

Immediately you stopped talking, because you saw that something in Levi's expression was wrong. He stared to the front with widened eyes, something you had never seen before.

You, worried, while turning your look in the direction his was:
"Levi, what-?"

Momentarily you saw a widely open door, the torches still on.
"M-mom?", you gasped and ran toward the lodge.

You ran and ran, but became slower and slower, while realising.
The door was forcedly opened and there were glass splinters from broken glass all over the floor.
At first, you didn't want to admit it and your mind blocked it, but there was blood on them. Lots of it.
You heard dull steps behind you. Levi had followed quickly.

Slowly you moved closer until reaching the door, where you stopped.
Your body felt dull, your legs weak, your eyes hot, your mind empty.
You fell to your knees, while staring at the scene.

Your mother laid lifelessly on the ground, her neck twisted in an angle it never should've taken.
Her fingers were covered with more blood and so was her neck. A dark-red line extended artistically across her throat, as her empty stare was pointing toward the ceiling.

Levi stood behind you, emotionlessly watching the scene with a dark expression.

Your hands shook, but you continued observing every small detail left of your mom.

Levi perceived your schock and his look focussed on you.
'Why isn't she crying?', he asked himself.

-

POV-you

There was a hallow silence in my head, followed by a loud humming.
Was this real?
Was I dreaming?

In one moment I felt again.
Levi's warm touch on my shoulder send a shiver through my whole body.
Suddenly I felt a warm hug and his arms embracing my weak body.
Levi took my head and pressed it to his chest as if he tried to protect me from that scene and this evil world.

And now I felt allowed to cry.
I crawled my fingers into his protective arms and pressed myself even harder into him, letting all of my emotions out at once.
My mom was gone.
Now nobody was left.
All of this suddenly became too much for me to handle and I gave myself into my feelings and Levine secure hold.

We stood like this what felt like an eternity, him not even moving. This was until the sun rose and its rays touched our faces.
I opened my eyes and realised that I had fallen asleep. Levi hadn't let go and gently stroked my hair, while looking down on me.
When he realised I had woken up, he stopped.

Levi silently:
"Let's go home."

I blinked a tear away.
Because now, I didn't know where this was anymore.

————————