33. Meant to be

... "Levi?" ...

My bare feet touched the cold ground made out of stone and I got goosebumps.

Levi glanced back shortly and kept his silence.
I wondered, whether I should even go any nearer, but my mouth asked without my intention:
"Can I stay?"

Levi didn't say anything, he just looked toward the horizon into the distance.

So I put a soft step in front of the other, until reaching the porch.

Standing there, looking out into the dark night, it made me feel exposed to him.
Maybe it was because of my large, short clothes, my bare feet and my loosely kept bun.
It seemed different than usually.

And I didn't want to look at him.
Somehow, I wanted to say something, but no matter what would come out, it would be nonsense.
That's what it felt like.

So I shut my mouth and started observingly at the stars tonight. They were bright, yellow and filled with hope. At least they gloomed unstoppably.

And when I had forgotten, why I couldn't sleep carefree, my voice asked Levi softly:
"What do you dream about?"

It was no surprise, that he didn't answer. But I did.
So I started, without knowing why.
"I dream about escaping these walls and exploring the world.", I laughed slightly. "I know how it sounds like, but it's not impossible. And wouldn't it be...?", I stopped and let my eyes perceive the wonders expanding beneath me.
There were houses in the distance, so small I couldn't see them, dark green forests, providing us with life and there was this section, above the walls.
The sky. Expanding so endlessly above us and yet we see it as given.

Suddenly I noticed someone leaning against the porch next to me.
Levi silently glanced up and saw what I could see.

I had to smile, when I perceived the way his eyes changed when being somewhere else, than the battlefield. And it honestly warmed my heart.

"I'm sorry.", I said.
My heartbeat was the only thing I could sense, when putting those words out.

Levi turned and sceptically looked at me:
"..."

My eyes were emitting warmth, but sadness at the same time.

Levi bluntly:
"What for, idiot?"

My whole face immediately became red and I shrugged at his way of formulating things.
"I-I'm not going to say it again.", and I furrowed my eyebrows.
"You heard me."

Levi slightly tiled his head in question:
"Huh?"
His hair fell softly into his face, covering his dark, grey eyes.

Immediately I looked away, blushing hard.
He looks so cute.
I pressed my lips together, red flushing through my cheeks.
"F-For the other day.", I continued.

Levi even more confused:
"..."

I leaned against the porch with an ashamed face.
"For that thing... there."

Levi blankly:
"Just talk straight or shut up."

Me frowning painfully:
"F-for when Eren and I came too late.", I whispered.

Levi eyed you:
"..."

Levi:
"You're not the only brat coming too late for training."

I grasped for air frustratedly, but sighed.
"Ah that's not what I-, agh, forget about it."

Silently him and I lingered a little longer like this. He sometimes shortly glanced over sceptically, but never said anything.
A little while after, I felt how my head became heavy, as well as my eyelids.