Chapter 1

All eyes within the room focused on her, staring in astonishment and envy at the picture-perfect girl standing in front of them, little did they know she was far from perfect.

Thick, long, brunette curls streamed down her back. Her face was small with hazel cat eyes and tan skin, which seemed to contrast with the paleness of the younger trainees around her, however, it fit in with the adults who seemed to have been sunkissed. A slender figure with a miniature waist, wide hips and considerably large breasts.

In their eyes, she seemed like a model, but to her, she was just mediocre. A common beauty. Yes, she was blessed with certain, distinct features however she had matured a lot over the years and that had left marks such as the stretch marks which were carefully carved up the side of her hips and her lower stomach which was bloated as always. Her skin was bumpy due to the occasional breakouts thanks to her teenage hormones playing up. Tan skin was also seen as a negative sometimes as men hated it, however, women found themselves fond of it, referring to her as looking like a foreigner.

"Your name, trainee?" The judge raised an eyebrow at her, checking her out ever so slightly despite being 40 years old and her being only 20. He was a plump man with grey stubble and greying hair which seemed to once be raven black.

"Jo Hyebin," Her deep, husky voice responded, once again surprising them. She had given off a warm and bright aura, however, now her voice had made her seem rather fierce and firm.

"Jo Hyebin," He reiterated flipping through the numerous profiles of trainees in front of him. "Jo Hyebin... Ah here. You're 20?"

She nodded in response with an awkward smile, feeling out of place among the other attractive women in the room that glared at her with bitterness and resentment that she had captured the judge's attention for her looks alone.

"You're a vocalist and rapper, that's quite unique for a rapper to be able to sing. Would you mind performing something?" A woman judge intercepted, staring her down with her sharp black eyes, a blank stare that made her unreadable.

Hyebin took a deep breath before beginning to sing Infinite 'Back' and proceeding to rap along. Her passion flowed as she became anxious, wanting nothing more than to make the team. This could be her last opportunity to debut as Star Empire barely ever debuted groups. A former trainee that had made the group decided to leave meaning there was one space left as far as she knew.

"That was interesting, next." The lady waved, causing Hyebin's breathing to hitch. She slowly shuffled away only to be called out by the third judge.

"Hyebin, would you mind going to CEO Joo's office?" He called out, making her nervous.

Hyebin nodded, walking out the door and continuing to walk towards the stairs with a small knot forming in her stomach, as she queried why she had to speak to CEO Joo. Many thoughts filled inside her head, prompting her to drown in distress and worry.

"Am I going to get kicked out? Am I not sufficient enough to be in the company?" Hyebin mumbled faintly to herself, her eyes glossing over as she felt something form in her throat, making it more arduous to breathe no matter how many times she attempted to swallow her spit back.

Knocking on the door, she was met with a voice urging her to enter the office. With a false, small smile she cracked open the door, careful not to disorder his tranquil atmosphere, and stared at the CEO, her heart racing and her palms becoming glazed with sticky sweat which clung to her, causing her to feel unpleasantly grimy.

"I was directed to come up here," She explained as best she could despite not entirely understanding the situation she was. "I'm a trainee and I was auditioning for the new group but I got sent out and-"

"Seems like you've been shortlisted." The CEO let out a hearty chuckle, moving on to writing in some files upon his desk.

"What do you mean?" Hyebin questioned, feeling more perplexed than ever.

"You've been selected into the top 3 candidates to join the group. You must have impressed them and I can see why." He smirked to himself, looking back down at the file. "You can sit down and wait while they choose the other two trainees."

Hyebin felt delighted that she wasn't in trouble but spending time with the CEO made her feel uncomfortable, especially as she had heard many rumours, not to mention his remark earlier on. Despite these factors, she resolved to let it go as she granted herself the authority to let out a shaky breath and let a stray tear roll down her cheek. Regardless of being in front of the CEO, she couldn't help but let the feelings that had been running through her all day slip out. A mighty big smile made its way upon her face, tugging at her cheeks causing them to ache a little. But that didn't matter... What mattered was that she had made it, not necessarily to debut, however, she had been selected finally. It was further than she had ever gotten before and this time she would make sure to make it all the way.

"Let's debut Hyebin-ah!" she whispered to herself.