Chapter 19

Havoc! The previous episode of 'Seoul Searching' had aired and the director had left in Changkyun's sleepy confession, leaving fans of both groups dissatisfied. Netizens who were not fans of their groups and only liked them through the show approved of their 'relationship' and even defended them against the hate, stating that even if it wasn't real they had given a heart fluttering moment and that they were great actors who should star in dramas.

Delusional fans who disapproved had gone to extremes and made petitions for either Hyebin, Changkyun or both to be removed from the show. Hyebin had been on the worse end of the spectrum as she had received multiple threats and had been completely attacked online and slandered. They had even thrown in a school bullying scandal, however, as she was still fresh out of high school the lie was easily disproved by old classmates who defended her and the company had also released a statement.

It was quite severe and would have taken a huge toll on Hyebin's mental state, however, she knew that from the start it would be difficult and had prepared herself for all kinds of situations so thankfully it didn't affect her much. The only thing that did shake her up was the threats as some had managed to get a hold of her family address and had sent horrible things.

Hyebin was beyond annoyed, they could mess with her but not her family. She responded online using their group phone to leave a post on social media, warning those who left threats and had been sending things to her family that she would legally punish them. Of course the company had backed her and offered money to help sue them, in return for profit from the fines. Hyebin didn't mind as long as she made enough money from them to give back to her parents who had experienced vandalism and obviously she wanted the offenders to be punished for it.

PING!

Hyebin's train of thoughts had been distracted by her phone sounding as a notification popped up. Looking down, she saw that Changkyun had privately messaged her. Yes they weren't allowed their own phones until they got their first win, however, Sooyeon knew all the tricks and had provided Hyebin with an old model phone under her brothers name which she could use to contact anyone whenever she needed but discreetly due to the company's strict rules. She only used it to contact family and talk in a groupchat with the 'Seoul Searching' cast, which is the reason she was so shocked. Changkyun and her had never messaged privately outside the chat, to say she was nervous would be an understatement, she was petrified as to what was so important he had to privately message her.

Was she going to be forced to leave the show? Was he going to leave the show? Were they both booted from the show?

'I'm so sorry, I was thoughtless and because I was tired I slipped up. I hope you can forgive me.'

'No, it's not your fault. It could have happened to anyone, you were just in role and was too immersed in your role.' Hyebin responded.

'I heard about the troubles that my fans have caused you and I'm so sorry, I would personally like to come and kneel down to your family and apologise for the troubles I have caused to you and your family.'

'No please, It's okay! You don't need to apologise!'

'No, I do! I want to apologise, I know how the hate feels and it's terrible. I'd like to apologise to you also. You must be so hurt and you must be mentally/emotionally stressed, If you need a therapist to talk to I'll buy you the best one or if you don't feel comfortable then you can talk to me-'

'You type a lot' Hyebin joked, trying to lighten the mood. 'I am really okay, I am in the process of sorting things out with the company now. You really don't need to worry about me.'

'But I am worried about you.'

Even though they weren't face to face, Hyebin was flabbergasted. He had that affect on her. Her heart was beating fast and her fingers were unable to move.

'Can we meet? I know it's late but it's the only time we aren't both on schedule working.'

'Okay' Hyebin's response was short in contrast to her heart beat. She was timid in this moment. Was she really going to meet a man at this moment in time? Especially when rumours were so high... Being caught even once would potentially ruin her career. Before she could change her mind, he had already responded with a location to meet.

Hyebin did not want to be caught or even recognised so she did her best to dress oppositely to how she normally dressed, grabbing a pair of Mirae's grey sweatpants, a baggy white t-shirt and a matching grey cap. She tied her hair up into a pony, low enough to fit through the hoop of the cap and pulled on a mask.

As she stepped out of their apartment building into the isolated early morning street, she adjusted the cap down to cover her eyes more. It was 1am so it was still dark, the birds chirped and the sound of cars along the highway were quite therapeutic. Hyebin had an oversized hoodie on, pulled up to cover her hair so if she was seen, they would mistake her for a male. She hoped the disguise would make her meeting with Changkyun look more like two random men hanging out at an odd time.

Whipping out her phone, she checked the location once more and the directions he had given her. Her nose scrunched up as she became confused. He'd given her directions starting from her company and so far they had led her to a weird underground tunnel.

"Surely this isn't the place?" Hyebin mumbled to herself, taking another look around and stumbling back as she noticed a tall figure heading towards her.

"Kyunnie-" Her voice had came out in a small tone and quivered with fear.

"I'm so sorry, did I scare you?" Changkyun pulled up his cap, and his mask was also pulled down.

Hyebin let out a sigh of relief, looking up as her eyes glossed over slightly. "I'm fine."

"I wasn't sure if it was you, you looked different." He stated, noticing her still seeming unsettled. "Are you uncomfortable here? Or with me?"

"No-"

"We can go somewhere else, I just thought that this place would be better as it's abandoned and not many people come here unless they're rappers, graffiti artists or just homeless people looking for shelter." Changkyun blurted out quickly, making her chuckle.

"Honestly, it's fine. I was just a little shaken up because women aren't really safe outside, especially during the dark and late hours-"

"Oh god!" Changkyun's whole facial expression had changed, he looked at her with sympathy and guilt. "I should have known, I was insensitive. I'm sorry. I should have walked you-"

"No, it's fine." Hyebin tried to calm him down as she noticed how distressed he was.

"Stop!" Changkyun pleaded, looking into her eyes. "Stop saying it's fine because it's not. I'm responsible. You're just being nice and I don't deserve it. Hit me. I deserve it. Hit me!"

"I'm not gonna hit you," Hyebin refused.

"Hit me-" He reached out for her hand and balled them into a fist. "I'm a complete bastard. You should hit me. Everything bad happened because of me."

"Chang-"

"You're hands are cold," Changkyun now looked as though he was on the verge of crying. Hyebin didn't know how to react.

"It's all my fault..." He breathed out, letting go and stepping back. "I'm not good enough to be around you, all I do is cause you harm."

Hyebin watched Changkyun's head drop down and heard a small hitch of breath, alerting her that he was possibly crying. Her heart was breaking. He seemed so tough and unbreakable but here he was on the verge of a breakdown. He was so vulnerable... So human. Hyebin did the unthinkable, surprising both of them.

She walked over to him and wrapped her arms around his waist, her head buried against his chest close enough that she could hear his heart beating rapidly. Changkyun's arms stayed by his side momentarily before he realised what was happening, then he responded by engulfing her in a hug and resting his head on her shoulder.

"It's okay to let go," Hyebin whispered soothingly. "You're human too."

He didn't know what had came over him in this moment, but suddenly he was crying and he couldn't control himself. His emotions were all over the place. Why was he so vulnerable around her every time? Being around her, he felt so free...