Chapter 44

As the company was earning severe backlash over the past week for neglecting their duties of looking after Mode-L, the higher-ups had finally made a final conclusion on what to do for the group.

CEO Joo introduced a new manager for Hyebin on her own as she is a more popular member which means she has more schedules and it seemed most appropriate to have one to herself when shooting her drama also.

When told about her own personal manager, Hyebin refused the special treatment she was being given, though, her members reassured her that they were okay with it and understood why she needed it most. Hyebin continuously protested to the CEO, proposing to at least share with Youngji since she went to school often so she didn't have many schedules to go to unlike the rest of the members so the timings would fit well.

Since Hyebin had to spend a lot more time with the manager, Hyebin couldn't meet Changkyun as much. Her manager would take her to schedules and stay by her side all day then take her back home at night. They were both devastated but understood why the extra safety measure was in place.

As of now, Hyebin was currently on her way to a script reading with the cast of her new drama, however, the van was running out of gas so they were forced to stop at the nearest gas station to refill.

"Do you need anything?" The manager asked as Hyebin nodded with a smile.

"Could you please get me some medicine if they have any?" Hyebin asked. "I think I have indigestion... It could just be nerves."

"Of course," He smiled, getting out of the van. "I'll be back in a moment."

Hyebin decided to spend her free time on her phone while she waited for him to fill up the car and pay, updating the fans with a selfie in the car with a book emoji to tease them. Immediately, notifications were popping up with dozens of comments and likes piling in. She was caught off-guard when the van door harshly slammed shut, the manager seeming to have returned without a bag.

"Was there no medicine?"

"Are you sick?" An familiar voice sounded, giving Hyebin goose bumps as she came to the realisation that it wasn't her manager in the front seat. Tires screeched as the car began to drive off hastily, wasting no time in waiting around.

Hyebin observed the key was still in the car, looking behind then to find the manager running towards the car but he was no match since the person in the front seat was speeding away.

Taking a deep breath, Hyebin decided to make a reckless decision. Noticing the traffic ahead, the car began to slow down but it seemed the driver did not want to stop and was rather annoyed by the cars ahead.

Reaching out, Hyebin abruptly swung the car door open and threw herself out of the moving vehicle, rolling alongside before swivelling behind the car to land in the middle of the road. Both the car in front and the car behind stopped, causing other cars to beep at the sudden halt.

Her breathing became ragged as she noticed how close the car behind was to running her over, the bumper plate being within arms length. The driver hurried out with an angry expression, however, it soon faded as she noticed the hurt girl on the floor.

"Are you okay?" The old lady questioned, hurrying to Hyebin's side and placing a hand on her shoulder.

Hyebin's eyes fixated on the manager running still, heading over to Hyebin. Shaking her head, Hyebin pointed at the van to find the assailant now ditching the car and running away.

"Look after her please," The manager begged before rushing off after the kidnapper.

By now, people had exited their vehicles to find out what the commotion was. Some recognised her and pulled out their phones, taking videos and photos but thankfully the old lady tried her best to cover Hyebin with her cardigan hovering to hide Hyebin's face.

Hissing, Hyebin touched her wounds to assess how painful they were so she would be able to see if she needed to go to the hospital or not. Sirens sounded out in the distance, getting closer which earned everyone's attention over to the end of the road, where the manager now had the man on the ground.

Taking the opportunity, Hyebin tried to stand up. At first the old lady had rejected the idea and tried to keep her down on the ground but after contemplating, she decided to help Hyebin up instead and escort her to lean on the hood of her car until the manager came back.

When the manager came back, he scolded Hyebin for getting up and insisted on taking her to the hospital, though, Hyebin seemed to be persistent on attending the script reading and tried her best to convince her manager it was nothing that a bit of first aid couldn't handle.

"You know we will both be scolded right?" The manager warned Hyebin. "Especially if the wounds turn to scars."

"I'll accept full responsibility," Hyebin pleaded, her eyes being too irresistibly cute for the manager to deny her request.

"Okay," He agreed with a sigh, scooping her up in his arms. "If I take you to the script reading, promise me you will let me get someone to give you first aid treatment when we get there?"

"Okay," She agreed, smiling even though she was in pain. "Thank you for everything."

"You're welcome," The manager returned her smile, placing her in the back of the van and strapping her seatbelt on.

Hyebin was thankful that the manager cared about her wellbeing over money. Many within the industry preferred money but he seemed different. She was glad to have a great manager who, despite being new, was sincerely kind towards her and acted like her friend rather than treating her like a money maker and sending her to her schedule without caring.