Chapter 3

From the moment the manager lady had gone, the girls had been left in silence. Since the atmosphere was very dull, Sooyeon decided to beckon everyone into the living room, if it can even be called that, so everyone can get to know each other. To be totally honest, the décor of the apartment also contributed to the dull attitudes from the trainees.

The walls were coated with beige flowers, the sofa being a considerably large and brown wasn't even enough to drown out the atrocious wallpaper. Tortilla coloured wooden floorboards filled the whole room and seemed considerably clean, which was a positive along with the fact that there are four bedrooms of adequate size and two bathrooms.

It was pleasanter than their previous dorms, which held 12 girls per room and only one large bathroom. It was hectic in the mornings so, most showered at the most random of times throughout the day. Since there were now 7 girls and four bedrooms, some had to share but they didn't mind as it was less than they had to share with before and gave them a bit more personal space.

However, once again it came back down to one thing. No one knew each other adequately enough to form a judgement on who will share so before anyone could settle in or unpack, they decided to assemble together in the living room and get to know each other. A few snacks later and everyone was gathered on the sofa or on the floor, facing the table.

"As you all know, I'm Hong Sooyeon," Sooyeon lead the introductions. "I'm 26 years old and have trained here for 5 years, and almost a member of 9muses but I had some health problems so I had to drop out and a replacement was added so I'm close to a few of the members and the replacement member. Before that, I was a Flight Attendant for 3 years for a small airline abroad, so I speak almost fluent English. I am a vocalist and have done a few small acting jobs in webdramas along with modelling."

Hyebin found Sooyeon so admirable, she had given up her job of three years for an uncertain future in the industry to pursue her vocal dreams and had been through hardships like almost debuting. Already, she knew she wanted to get friendlier with Sooyeon as she seemed refreshingly cool and would be able to teach her some new things as she'd been in the company longer.

Next up was a brunette, who Hyebin identified as the girl who was in the same van as her earlier on. "Hi, my name is Min Subin and I'm 22. I majored in arts but I discovered I liked the wrong side of the arts aka dancing, so I ended up finishing my course with difficulty as I joined a company as soon as I made up my mind about liking dancing. Of course, it took a few months and many hours of dancing at a dance studio but finally, I managed to get a call back from the company. Until then, I've been a trainee for over 1 year and am always trying to improve my skills. I haven't done any main gigs but I've been sent as a backup dancer for other company idols."

Hyebin gathered that Subin was a very headstrong woman, who knows what she wants and goes for it. There was no doubt that she would go far in life, Hyebin hoped she would gain some of her personality traits as they live together so she'd be a less indecisive person and understand what she wants more.

"I'm Yoo Mirae and I am a dancer. I've been in the company for 2 years and a half and I'm 21." A black-haired girl with fair skin replied, glancing at Hyebin with a smile. Hyebin recognised her as the girl from earlier who was going to comment on Sooyeon. "I finished high school and decided not to go to college so I could look after my grandma who lives alone in a rural area. One day I was scouted at the market, I wasn't going to leave my grandma but she liked me to perform for her and she knew my passion was dancing so she threw me out with my bag and told me to debut and buy her a bigger house, so here I am 2 years later getting ready to debut."

Hyebin felt her eyes sting a little due to the heart-warming story she had heard from Mirae. They were both the same age yet their experiences were so different. If she couldn't debut, she hoped at least Mirae would so she can buy her grandmother a nice house.

Beside Mirae sat a small framed young girl with a school uniform and two mini plaits laying on her shoulder. "Hi, my name is Lee Youngji and I am 16. I was scouted outside my school, my friends told me it was a scam and not to listen to the big scary dude, but that night I told my mother and she checked out everything and asked me what I'd like to do. I wanted to do acting but I'm still too young for any roles other than a young child on a morning drama or webdrama so they suggested I become a trainee and we found out I'm good at singing and they said I was pretty so I could become a visual maknae and gain popularity to get more roles."

Hyebin couldn't help but feel sorry for the young girl, who had been forced into this industry without having a chance to think about what she wants along with juggling a school schedule. She wanted to protect Youngji and help her even if this wasn't what she wanted to do originally, she would make sure to teach Youngji well so she could become good enough to be recognised and achieve her acting dream of being casted.

"Hello, my name is Jo Hyebin, I'm 21 years old and I have been a trainee for 4 years. I'm both a rapper and a vocalist. If you can't tell, I have quite a husky voice which allows me to deliver a soulful vocal performance but also to deliver a totally cool rap performance. I'm not at my best but I hope you'll teach me and help me further my skills to their best. Let's all debut and become successful!"

Her introduction earned a smile from each of the 6 girls around her, who felt happy by her last little statement and positive aura that she gave out. They could already tell she was like a vitamin to them, who would help to uplift their spirits.

"I'm Lee Jiyeon," A slightly chubbier girl mumbled, seeming uncomfortable and shy. "I'm 18 and I am a vocalist. I got in for my talent only, I probably won't make the lineup since I'm seen as fat, but I will work harder to improve myself and become a better version of myself so I won't drag you guys down."

"Don't be stupid, you're beautiful!" Subin squawked, seeming appaled by Jiyeons statement. "Being skinny isn't always healthy. As long as you eat well and are healthy, nothing else should matter. Plus you are young, we all had baby fat at your age still, it will shed and you'll be a shining star, the company see this in you which is why you've been chosen to make the line-up."

The rest of the girls nodded in agreement, feeling satisfied with Subin's statement. The standards were way too harsh, she wasn't even fat she was just shorter than the rest of them so she seemed slightly chubbier, but in reality, she was a perfect weight. The company was filled with tall skinny girls, so it imposed such ideas upon the shorter or less skinnier trainees that they weren't perfect when they were. Hyebin was glad for Subin's outgoing and headstrong personality as she was willing to speak up without a second thought.

"Anyways, I'm Ji Sunhye, age 24 and I'm what I'd like to call an all-rounder. I'm perfect so I know that I'll succeed. Let's not taint the group's image and ruin our reputation, only then can we be the best."

Hyebin could tell the room atmosphere changed when she spoke. Sunhye seemed to think of herself only and maybe that wasn't a bad thing and she's nice, however, she chose the wrong time to speak and the wrong topic... Perhaps the one she had to worry about was herself.