We Have News

Damon decided since we were going to be engaged now it was best to share the news with our parents. We were to see Martin first and then go pay my mother a visit. Damon wanted to get the ring from his father and I wanted to tell my mother before any media had the chance to find out. The moment people knew Damon Tipton was off the market it would be big news.

We decided that we would have the fiancé title for each other but really our relationship wasn't going to change. I did make him agree that the next time he's pissed like that again he needs to either talk it out or he needs to cool down before he does anything else. I refuse to let him try to take advantage of me again out of anger and he understood. I was honestly surprised he didn't reprimand me for pushing him away. Justin would've thrown a fit instead of apologizing like Damon did.

Thankfully with this visit to Martin being in the middle of the week there would be no Justin involved. We walked up to Martin's door holding hands and waiting for it to be answered. As usual Martin's butler let us in, instead of going to the living room we were directed to Martin's study. We walked into the room and took a seat on the couch that was in the room. Martin turned to face us from where he was standing.

"Damon, Kaydence. Welcome. What brings you two here?" He asked while taking a seat at his desk.

"We have news to share." Damon responded.

"I was surprised to get your call to be honest. What's the news?" Martin was intrigued.

"Kaydence and I have decided to get married." Damon spoke.

A look of surprise took over Martin's face. "This isn't over the ring is it? Because that's no reason to get married so fast."

"We're going to take our time planning the wedding, but we feel this is the right thing to do." I reassured Martin. It wasn't exactly a lie, this was the only way Justin wouldn't get the ring. "We're in love." I smiled.

"Is this true Damon?" Martin raised his eyebrow.

Damon wrapped an arm around me. We had only really been around each other for almost a month now, so of course it sounded crazy. We were well aware of that, but we didn't care. This was about our only option. Justin didn't want that ring for a family heirloom, he wanted it to beat Damon.

"Yes, it's true. We've gotten to know each other really well since she came to live with me." He paused and gave me a slight smile. "She's amazing and I want to marry her."

"And this is what you both want? No one is being forced into this?" Martin looked directly at me, making eye contact.

"Yes. I'm happy with Damon, happier than when I was with Justin." I responded without breaking eye contact.

"Very well then." He moved his gaze to Damon. "Then I need to deliver on the promise I made you."

Martin pulled a black box out of his desk drawer. He brought it over and opened it for us to see. My eyes grew wide at the ring I was looking at. It was silver with a rectangle emerald in the center, the emerald had a set of three diamonds making a triangle on the sides where the band met the emerald. Martin handed the box to Damon. Damon took the ring out of the box and slid it on my ring finger.

"It matches your eyes." Martin smiled. "Constance didn't want a regular diamond in the middle, she always liked the unique things in life." He was referring to Damon's mother.

"It's beautiful." I spoke as I still stared in awe at the ring.

"We'll need to have an engagement party to announce this properly." Martin looked at us as if he was sure we would protest.

"Where should we have it?" Damon asked.

"We can have it here, this upcoming Saturday. That'll give you a few days." Martin offered.

"Sounds good to me." Damon responded. "If you don't mind, we need to get going to share the news with Kaydence's mother."

We stood up and Martin unexpectedly pulled me into a hug. "I'm thrilled to have you as my future daughter in law." He smiled.

I smiled back. "And it's a pleasure to have you as a father in law."

We exited Martin's home and got into Damon's car. Damon started driving towards the hospital where my mother was. It was about a twenty minute drive from Martin's home. Neither of us spoke the whole time. It wasn't exactly an awkward silence but it wasn't exactly the most comfortable either.

We arrived at the hospital and headed for my mother's room. I entered first with Damon following behind me. My mom's eyes were excited to see me but also confused on who was with me.

"Hello Kaydence, who's this?" She asked.

"Mom, you remember how I told you about Damon helping you get into this room?" responded, trying to jog her memory.

She smiled. "Oh yes, thank you for helping upgrade the room."

He shot a smile back to her, his smile was gorgeous. "No problem Ms. Bush."

"I have something to tell you." I grabbed her attention again.

"What is it honey?" she asked.

"Mom, Damon and I have been seeing each other. We've decided to get married." I informed her.

She raised her eyebrow, just like Martin had. "Didn't you just leave Justin?"

"About a month ago, I know it seems quick and sudden." I looked at Damon and smiled. "But I love him. I didn't love Justin." I bent the truth slightly.

"I promise Ms. Bush, I will take excellent care of your daughter." Damon reassured her.

We gave her the same speech we gave Martin. She was unsure about it, but she knew once I had my heart set on something I wouldn't let it go. After the visit we made our way back to the car.

Once inside I started to tug off the ring. "You'll want to keep this safe somewhere, won't

you?" I asked.

I knew that inside had been an act, we weren't in love. I liked him yes, but I didn't even know how he felt.

"No. You should keep it on." He spoke looking me over. "It suits you, just take care of it properly is all I ask."

"But won't it be weird if you find someone you actually want to marry if I have it?" I questioned.

"But I'm marrying you, not anyone else." He started driving. "Think of it as a modern day arranged marriage."