Eventually It Won't Be So Bad

Damon had seemed off since we returned home yesterday. I was hoping that this would help him relax and be himself. Now he was just silent, as if he was always thinking. I wanted to know what was going on in his head but I was afraid to ask.

The doorbell rang letting us know Trish and Peter had arrived. Sterling was coming back home today. I hoped that maybe he could help get Damon into a better mood. Having him gone during all of this just hadn't been the same. I was glad to finally be able to be home as a family again.

Rose answered the door and led our guests into the living room. They had never been at Damon's residence so they looked around in awe as they looked over all the details. I stood up from the couch I had been sitting on to welcome them.

"Hey." I smiled.

"Kaydence, how are you?" Trish asked.

"I'm doing pretty good." I answered.

"And Damon? How is he since he's been home?" Peter had a look of concern on his face.

"He's hanging in there." I sighed. "It's going to take some time I think but he'll be back to himself soon hopefully."

Trish and Peter both nodded in response to my words.

"I'll go get him. Please sit down." I motioned to the couch.

They nodded once more and took a seat with Sterling who was excited to show off his home. Damon was very private so no one was really allowed to be here. Hell, even Rose seemed surprised when I first showed up to take a room in the mansion. He made an exception today for these two as he didn't feel up to traveling to pick Sterling up.

I left the living room and made my way to the hallway. He was currently in the study going over some work. I had asked him to not try to jump in too soon but he refused to listen. I didn't fight back as I knew he was struggling. He didn't want to admit it but I could tell in his mood and in his eyes that he was having a hard time with this.

I knocked on the door of the study and opened it. "Damon." I spoke name softly but loud enough he could hear me.

"Yes Love?" He responded back as he remained focused on his computer screen.

"The Bryant's are here with Sterling." I informed him.

"Okay, I'll be out there shortly." he finally looked away from the computer and up at me.

"Okay." I nodded.

It was hard to be in this room. Memories of seeing Damon practically lifeless on the floor flooded back. I could feel knots in my stomach as my eyes looked on the spot where his blood had been. I had been in here once since finding him and that was to look through the footage. Even then it was hard and I didn't think it would be getting any easier.

"I know what you're feeling right now." Damon stood up from the computer. "And I understand it. Unfortunately, I can't just get rid of this room. We're just going to have to deal with it. Eventually it won't be so bad."

"I know." I spoke as my eyes remained glued to the spot on the floor. "Just some bad memories I'll move past. The important thing is you're here now. Standing beside me, not on the floor covered in your own blood."

I felt his hand firmly grasp my arm. "Let's get you out of here." I knew it was just a suggestion for my own good, but it felt more like an order honestly.

I didn't fight back as he led me away from the study. I still felt a little anxious even after the doors had been shut. His hand moved from my arm and wrapped around my waste. He pulled me a little closer and I could smell his scent. I didn't know how to explain it but that alone helped get me relaxed once more.

We entered the living room where Sterling was finishing showing off some of his toys. "Daddy!" Sterling smiled as he caught a glimpse of Damon.

"Hey." Damon gave him a small smile as we took a seat on the couch across from Trish and Peter. "Did you have fun with your grandparents?"

"Yes, but I'm happy to be home now." Sterling answered Damon's question. "How are you daddy?"

"I'm fine. Better now that I'm home." He responded.

We talked with Trish and Peter for a little while longer. Well it was mostly me who did the talking. Damon sat back in silence. He eventually would come around and be more sociable. I hoped he would at least.

After about an hour Trish and Peter had to get going. We walked them to the door and said our goodbyes. When they were gone we headed to the dining room where Rose had dinner ready to be served. I took a seat across from Damon and Sterling sat next to me. Rose served the food and then quickly left the room.

Sterling looked at the food on his plate. Tonight Rose served us baked chicken breast with green beans and dinner rolls. "Do I have to eat the vegetables?" Sterling groaned as he wasn't a fan of green beans.

"Vegetables make you strong. Eat them." Damon responded sternly.

"But I don't want to." Sterling pouted.

"God damn it eat your fucking dinner!" Damon's voice roared and I could see a look of fear on Sterling's face.

"Damon!" I called for his attention. "Have some patience, that was uncalled for."

The anger subsided from his face and blank expression replaced it instead. "You're right. I'm sorry Sterling. I need to be excused." He responded before getting up and leaving the dining room.

Sterling sat there silently for a moment before he finally spoke. "Is daddy okay?" He asked in a small voice.

"He will be." I spoke reassuringly. "He just went through a lot honey. He's dealing with the situation and it's been a little difficult for him."

"Okay." Sterling nodded.

"Rose!" I called out and she hurried into the room.

"Yes?" She asked.

"Can you watch Sterling for me please?" I asked. "I'm going to go talk to Damon."

"Of course." She nodded.

I got up from my seat and went to track down my husband inside of the mansion.