More About Her

"I'm home!" Sterling hollered as he came in the front door with Martin.

"Hey." I smiled as I sat up on the couch I had been lying down on.

"You didn't eat the cake with daddy yesterday did you?" Sterling asked. He had made it a point that we should eat the cake as a family.

"Of course not." I smiled.

"Is Damon here?" Martin asked.

"No." I answered. "He had to go take care of a few things at the office but he'll be back in a few hours."

"Okay." Martin nodded. "I'll give him a call on my way home."

I stood up from the couch. I had chosen to wear a pair of black leggings with a grey shirt that hugged my stomach. I was getting close to being halfway into this pregnancy and I was wearing whatever was the most comfortable. Anything that was too tight was restricting but anything too loose made me feel fat.

"Thank you for bringing Sterling home." I smiled as I thanked Martin.

"No a problem." Martin smiled back. "I better be on my way. Let me know if you need anything Kaydence." he pulled me in for a hug before leaving.

"Of course." I responded.

Martin left the mansion and it was just Sterling and I. "Daddy should be home. It was his birthday." Sterling spoke.

"I know." I nodded. "But your dad had to go do a couple things at work. I figured since it's Saturday we can pay a visit to your friends at the orphanage."

Sterling's eyes lit up. "Really? I miss them all!"

"Yes really." I grabbed my purse off of the coffee table in the living room. "Let's get going and then maybe we can stop by your dad's office when we come back home."

"That would be so cool!" Sterling exclaimed with excitement.

He held onto my hand as we made our way out of the mansion and into the car. Theo began to drive once we were settled inside the car. During rides in the car I noticed Sterling seemed to enjoy looking out of the windows at the scenery. Every time his eyes were wide in awe as he looked over the things that were still new to him.

We pulled up to the orphanage about thirty minutes later. Sterling held my hand once again as we ascended the stairs of the orphanage. I could sense the small boy's excitement to see his friends. These were children he had grown up with. It must've been a major change to be the only child in the home right now.

"Hey." Emily greeted us as we walked through the doors.

"Hi Miss Emily!" Sterling smiled wide.

"All the other children are outside right now. You can go join them if you'd like." Emily informed him.

"Let's go!" Sterling practically pulled me in the direction of the hall that had the doors leading to outside.

"Thank you!" I hollered to Emily as I was being whisked away.

We made it to the doors and Sterling's excitement only grew. "Let's go! Let's go!"

I stopped him from exiting. "Hold on, they're your friends how about I stay inside so you can play with them like old times?" I suggested.

"Won't you be bored?" He questioned.

"No." I gave him a small smile. "I'll go see if Mrs. Strahm needs help with anything."

"Okay." He nodded and exited the doors.

His friends were clearly thrilled to see him. They all grouped around him. I could see the biggest smile on his face from being with his peers once again. Seeing Sterling so happy brought a smile to my lips.

"They've missed him." A voice caught my attention. I turned around to see Mrs. Strahm. "They're happy for him but it always is a little hard when one of their friends leave. Thank you for allowing him to come visit."

"No problem at all." I responded. "While he's with them do you have anything you need help with?"

"No, not at this moment. But I was on my way to the cafeteria area to find a snack. You're welcome to join me." Mrs. Strahm offered.

I nodded and followed her. We made it inside the cafeteria and I sat down at a table. She brought us both out a bottle of water and a cinnamon roll. She sat down after placing the food down.

"Thank you." I spoke as I opened the water and took a drink.

"You're welcome. So is Sterling adjusting okay at home?" She asked and then took a bite of cinnamon roll.

"Yes. he seems to be doing really well." I answered. "Can I ask you something?"

She nodded her head in approval as her mouth was still full.

"Do you know anything about Sterling's mother?" I asked before taking a bite of delicious snack in front of me.

"I know alot about Melissa." Mrs. Strahm looked a little sad when bringing her up. "She worked here. When she knew she wasn't going to make it she made sure he was sent here because she knew I would have him taken care of."

"If you don't mind, I'd like to know more about her. I want to make sure I know some things when it comes time for Sterling to want to know more." I explained.

Mrs. Strahm nodded. "Melissa had a great sense of humor. She used to pull little pranks on the children and they loved it. She was one of the sweetest people I have ever met, she'd give the shirt off her back to anyone. She also had a knack for baking, she made the best cupcakes I have ever tasted and always made sure the children had one on their birthdays."

I had only known the things Damon shared about her. It was nice to get someone else's perspective on Sterling's mother. The more I learned though the sadder I felt. It was heartbreaking that she wasn't here to be with Sterling.

"She practically lived here, her dedication was one of a kind to these kids. I remember when she found out she was pregnant. She was so scared but so excited." Mrs. Strahm continued on. "You know, you two would've gotten along great I think."

"Is that so?" I responded as I finished my cinnamon roll.

"Yes. I know she would've liked you." Mrs. Strahm nodded. "I'm glad Sterling has you in his life. He seems to love you very much. I know Melissa would be thankful for you taking her son in as if he was your own."