We Did It

Five days. It had been five days since I last heard from Damon. We were nearing a week and it was beginning to drive me crazy. There was the occasional phone call that Rose picked up but if she knew I was entering the room she would hurry off the phone. She wouldn't tell me why other than that was what she had been told to do.

I wasn't going to let this ruin the day for me. Today my mother was going home, she would no longer be cooped up in the hospital. I pushed my anxious and annoyed feelings with Damon right now aside to let the excitement take over. I've been waiting for this day for what has felt like forever, at one point I felt like it was never going to come.

I threw on a black long sleeved shirt and a pair of jeans. I was going simple today so I decided on no makeup and threw my hair into a messy bun. I headed down the stairs and had Rose call for Cody. He only took a few minutes to pull the car up for us to go.

I went outside and got in, directing Cody to the hospital. He nodded and started driving. I was going to let him off from any conversation. He made it clear yesterday that was not part of his job and I would respect that. I was curious to know more but I could just ask Rose about it later. She didn't give full details on everything but she told me what she could.

We arrived at the hospital. I breathed a sigh of relief, I wasn't going to have to come here again to see my mom. The only good thing about hospital's is when you know you're coming for a happy occasion, like when a baby is born. Even that can be nerve wrecking though, but it was better than coming for anything else.

"Same deal as yesterday, okay?" I instructed Cody.

He nodded. "Okay."

I exited the car and made my way to my mother's room. She was out of her bed so she could get all her things together. She hadn't noticed I had come into the room. I watched her for a minute as she hummed to herself. She seemed calm.

"Let me help." I offered, but ended up startling her.

"Kaydence Bush, don't you scare me like that again." She spoke as her eyes were wide.

"Sorry." I apologized. "But shouldn't you be resting before we go. Your strength is still not one hundred percent back."

She chuckled. "I haven't done much for myself this last little while. I'm not lifting anything heavy and I'm obeying the doctor's orders. Let me do this." She responded.

I nodded and let her finish. She was determined to do this on her own and the best thing I could do was let her. She had relied on others for long enough. I understood where she was coming from on this. She finally finished up as Dr. Baker entered with the discharge papers. He saw me and searched for Damon, relieved when he didn't see him.

"We've gone through all the stuff listed before but I figured having a copy would help. The papers will tell you when your medicines are supposed to be taken, the number of the specialist for your two week check ups is here as well. Here are any signs to watch for that if you experience you need to come back. With how long it has been since the surgery you should be in the clear. Just be mindful of these signs." Dr. Baker explained.

Once he had finished the papers a nurse brought in a wheelchair so my mother wouldn't have to walk the distance to the car. I carried her things as the nurse pushed the chair. My mom looked up at me and smiled.

"We did it." She spoke.

I gave her a smile back, "yes we did."

We made it to the car where Cody was waiting. We sat in the back seat together and I gave Cody the address to go to. He started driving and my mom looked around the car in awe. It was nicer than any car we ever had. "He really takes care of you doesn't he?" She asked.

"I guess so. He even has Cody here looking out for me while he's away." I responded.

The rest of the drive she spent looking out of the window. She was like a child seeing the world for the first time. It had been so long since she was able to look at the skyscrapers and city from closer up. She could only see afar from the hospital room window.

We drove for a little bit and then finally reached her home. I had been here a few times since the hospital but it wasn't the same without her. When I would visit her during my internship she was always cheery and had something cooking for me. She enjoyed the company always, I think she had felt alone while I was away. That's why I was grateful for Judith to come and stay with her.

We made sure her and Judith would get along before she was hired. Damon had done an extensive background check to make sure my mother would be safe. Judith had been a CNA for a rehabilitation center, which made her a perfect candidate. She had been married but they were divorced. From what the background check had shared and what Judith had been willing to tell, her husband had left because they found that she couldn't have children.

She had told Damon and I in her interview that she decided to throw herself into caring for others after that. She didn't want to marry again for the fear of it happening again. She was very transparent and that's partly why Damon and I had agreed on her. We didn't want someone who would keep any secrets. I wasn't going to just let anyone around my mother.

I had Cody take a break and bust himself. Then we went inside where Judith had prepared some sandwiches for lunch. She was just about as good of a cook as Rose. We sat at the table and enjoyed lunch, it was nice to do this again. My mother had made sure she had taken her medicine with the food for digestion assistance. It took her a little slower to eat now because she had to make sure each bite was chewed well enough for digestion to be easy.

We sat and chatted for a while. It was nice to be able to laugh and go over memories with my mother. She had gotten out photo albums from when I was little and told Judith stories about me that I didn't even remember. I couldn't help but laugh at the things I was hearing about myself. There were even some good stories about my father.

We had spent hours before I looked at the time and decided I needed to head back. I said my goodbyes and made my way back to the car after I had Cody return. We drove back to Damon's mansion in silence again. I looked out of the window as my mind wandered on what Damon could be up to. I still had an off feeling about everything that was going on.

We finally arrived and I entered the house and walked to the kitchen. Rose saw me enter and was quickly trying to get off the phone again. "Sir, she's here. I better let you go." She paused for a moment. "Okay, hold on."

"Is it Damon?" I asked.

"He wants to talk to you." She answered as she held the phone out.

I let out a deep breath, here we go.

**Please leave your feedback! I want to make sure you guys are enjoying the story as much as I do! I always look forward to comments!**