Open For Business

I had returned home from Martin's and Damon was sleeping in the bed. I was pleased that he had done what I asked and came home. Stacey had notified me that he left the office shortly after I went to see Martin. I watched him for a moment while he slept. He looked so peaceful.

I had spent most of the day at Martin's house before returning home. We had been so caught up with talking about the store I didn't return here until two in the afternoon. I needed to be at the store around four to make sure we we're ready for the thousandth time this week. I had less than two hours to get ready now.

I went in and started the shower. I hurried myself along and when I finished I went back into the bedroom to get dressed. Damon was sitting up in the bed waiting for me. "Hmm, looks like you're already wet for me." He smirked.

"Shut up!" I responded and walked into the closet.

He chuckled. "I'm kidding Love. I'm going to go shower now."

I took the dark grey dress that I had chosen to wear off the hanger and slipped it on. It had long sleeves and hugged my body tightly until it ended above my needs. I did my make up and straightened my hair while I waited for Damon to get himself ready. After he finished in the bathroom he had thrown on a black suit with a grey tie to match my dress.

"Are you ready?" He asked as he finished putting his watch on his wrist.

I took a deep breath and exhaled it. "About as ready as I can be for this."

He came closer and took my chin in between his thumb and fingers. "You've got this and I'll be there every step of the way." He softly placed a kiss on my lips. "Let's get going." He held my hand and led me down to the car.

We got into the backseat of the car together, he was having Cody drive us tonight. The car headed off for Amethyst. I watched the surroundings outside of the window, we went from the rich neighborhood to the city in minutes. Damon scrolled through something he was reading on his phone. He looked intently at the screen so I figured it must be business related.

Cody finally stopped the car right in the back of the store. Damon and I exited the vehicle and went inside the back entrance due to the fact that he had placed a silver ribbon at the front doors for me to cut for the press. Julie and the staff were already inside and waiting for us. We had gotten the mannequins dressed yesterday and put up a few banners and balloons to celebrate the opening. The place was looking great, the last thing to do was to wait for everyone to show up.

I felt my stomach turn uneasily as I looked everything over. By instinct I wrapped my arms around myself to ease the nausea. Damon noticed and looked at me curiously. "Are you okay?" He asked.

I nodded. "Just nerves making my stomach feel off." I gave him a reassuring smile.

He planted a kiss on my cheek. "Relax."

Time seemed to fly by as we were getting closer and closer to the opening time. Damon had hired a small caterer and servers to bring around some drinks and finger food. We didn't have anything that was too messy so there was no chance of the clothes being ruined. The press and guests we had invited began to gather in front of the door in an orderly fashion.

I looked up at the clock and it was just a couple minutes to six. I took a deep breath in and let it out. I was still feeling the nerves in my stomach but I needed to push them aside. Damon took my hand in his.

"It's time Love." He guided me out of the back door and we made our way to the front of the store.

The press already started to snap their pictures. The crowd was decent sized but it was manageable.

"Welcome to the opening of Amethyst everyone." I smiled at the guests. "Thank you all for coming. It's such an honor to be able to have this opportunity for this store." I picked up the scissors and cut the silver ribbon. "Amethyst is open for business!"

We let the press and the guests enter the store to take a look around. I was pleased to see my mother was able to make it. She quickly approached me and pulled me into a hug. "I'm so proud of you sweetie!" She smiled proudly as she let go of me.

"Thank you mom." I smiled back.

"Thank you for helping my little girl." She took Damon by surprise and pulled him into a hug.

He hugged her back and then gave her a charming smile. "I just helped with the production and getting the store together. The brand is all her."

We went inside and mingled with the guests and press. It was going over a lot better than I had expected. The nerves I was feeling had flown away. I finished up talking to one of the guests when a familiar figure approached me.

"Well if it isn't the harlot sister-in-law of mine." Ava greeted with a disgusted look.

"What do you want now?" I made sure the annoyance in my tone was clear.

"You and that bastard did something to my son. I don't know what you did but I'll figure it out. Even if I don't I'll still make you pay." I could see the anger all over her face as she spoke.

"Ava, leave her alone." Damon interrupted the conversation as he approached us.

"And why should I? You should've expected nothing less when you invited me here." She sneered at Damon.

"I only invited you because you're blood. I had to or it would put more stress on our father and you've done enough of that." His tone was short and emotionless. "I would keep my mouth shut if I were you."

"And why's that?" She asked as she folded her arms across her chest.

"I know your secret Ava." Damon spoke as he looked at her coldly.

"What secret?" She tried to act as if his words didn't have any effect but she looked nervous.

"The secret of how much you slept around before you were pregnant. I know Robert isn't Justin's father. I know you just married him so if dad disowned you for your teen pregnancy you had a fall back so you didn't have to live a broke life." Damon still held his cold stare.

The color drained from Ava's face. "H-How did you know?"

"I have my ways. I'll tell you the same thing I told your son in Chicago, don't fuck with my relationship. And if you do I will have no problem letting the truth come out." He responded and then took my hand in his. "Come on Love, you're the star of the event. Let's not waste your time on people like her when you have many more guests who are more deserving of your attention."