At War With Your Own Heart

I couldn't sleep. My mind had been racing a million miles. Justin had come to attack me over his little girlfriend. I didn't know what Cody had done, maybe he had just let him leave. I let out a deep breath and closed my eyes. I finally had managed to fall asleep.

I woke up to the bedroom door opening. I looked over to the doorway as the tall figure made his way to me in his black suit. I felt anxious that it was Justin until my eyes had adjusted. I recognized his chiseled features and those icy blue eyes. Damon had returned.

I sat up in the bed and he sat beside me, turning on the lamp to let in some light. He tucked a piece of hair behind my ear as he looked my body over. I assume he was making sure Justin's assault hadn't hurt me.

"I'm sorry he came here." Damon spoke. My heartbeat picked up it's pace at his voice that I haven't heard in person for days.

"What did Cody do to him?" I asked. I was curious about the outcome for Justin.

"I was on my way back when Cody called and let me know what had happened here. It's unacceptable and I dealt with it before coming home." There was a flash of darkness in his eyes.

"What did you do?" I asked.

"You don't worry about that." He responded. I wasn't sure if I wanted to know anyway honestly.

I nodded. I was finally awake all the way and that's when my anger hit. He left and came back as if he didn't matter he just up and left. I moved to the otherside of the bed and he looked puzzled by my actions. He must've thought he was going to get a free pass for abandoning me.

"What's wrong Love?" He asked.

"You left me without a word and didn't come back as if that didn't happen. You can't do that!" I scolded.

He looked surprised but that quickly faded into a stern look. "Kaydence I had business to do. I can't be here all the damn time." He responded as if he was annoyed.

"Rose said you told her you needed to get away. Away from what Damon? From me?" I had let the hurt in my voice slip out. He attempted to come closer but I stood up from the bed.

He looked away from me. That felt like confirming to me that I was right. I felt this whole time in my gut that's what it was and everyone told me differently. I felt a sadness in the pit of my stomach but ignored it to focus on my anger.

"If you were done with this you could've just fucking said so! Don't worry I'll go ahead and get my shit and get out!" I couldn't help but yell. I headed to grab my purse to start throwing my valuables inside.

He gripped my arm tightly and forced me to look at him. "It's not like that."

"Then what's it like?!" I shouted as his icy blue eyes looked into my green ones. Then I proceeded to yank my arm from his to continue to pack.

He ran a hand and through his jet black hair, he let it be natural today instead of slicked back. He let out a sigh, "I can't tell you."

"You can't or you won't?" I responded coldly.

He looked at me with a pleading in his eyes for me to calm down and drop it for the night. I wasn't about to let that happen. He kept me on edge this past week, he needed to be honest with me. If he couldn't say anything I would leave and go to my mother's. I didn't want to stay in a one sided relationship with him anymore.

I rolled my eyes and shoved some items in my purse. He watched me and I could see anger rising in him. I had finished putting my own things in my bag and headed for the door when he gripped my arm, harder than the first time. He took the purse from my hand and tossed it to the floor.

"You're not leaving." He spoke sternly.

"Then tell me why you left so abruptly." I had a stern tone of my own.

He let go of me and turned around letting out a loud sigh in frustration and anger. "Because I gained genuine feelings for you because of this damned agreement! I can't let that happen!" He spoke in frustration.

"Why not?!" I shouted once more to catch his attention to look at me. I lowered my tone before I spoke any further. "Damon, you're at war with your own heart. Either let me in or let me go before you hurt me."

He picked me up, his hands on my ass, and pushed me against the deep purple wall. My legs wrapped themselves around his waist and my arms went around his neck. He placed kisses on my neck and then stopped to speak. "I've lost almost everything I've cared about before. I can't lose you too." He brought his face up to look into my eyes. His stunning eyes were filled with worry.

"You won't." My tone was softer as I tried to reassure him.

"You are not afraid of me after all this time. Everyone else is because of the power I possess, the influence I have. Why?" He asked.

"Because you've shown me a side of you that you clearly haven't shown to anyone else. Deep down, aside from your temper and your ego I know you have a heart. I know there is good in you." I answered. "But why pick me Damon? You could have any girl."

"I've been drawn to you since that first encounter. You're way too perfect to have remained with that scum. He should never have had you in his care. He is reckless and would have completely destroyed you." He was referring to Justin. "I chose you because we were both in need of something. You didn't throw yourself at me, which intrigued me. Like a little game to see if I could win you over."

"So what is this then?" I asked.

"This is us being together because we want to, not because of an agreement anymore. But my rules of the agreement still stand." He placed a peck on my lips. "Is this what you want?"

"Yes Damon." I answered, placing a peck on his lips in return.

"Are you sure?" He brought his lips to my ear. "Because if we go down this road there won't be any turning back for good. I told you before I won't let you go, but if this isn't something you really want this is your opportunity to run and go on with your life without me." He spoke to me.

I had feelings for him and he finally admitted he had some for me. He was guarded, that's why he ran away on business. I was breaking into the walls of his heart that he had built to make himself strong. He was scared. Something I thought he never could be.

I placed a kiss on his neck. "Yes."