Tell Me More

"Rose, can you tell me a little more about Damon?" I asked sitting at the island with a cup of tea she had made.

Damon had been on his trip for a few days and I spent most of my time either here or checking in on my mother. My agreement with Damon was going on for about two weeks now. I wanted to get a better understanding of him. The only things I knew was he was president of the company and Justin's uncle.

She let out a sigh. "It depends on what you would like to know Ms. Bush. There are certain things I'm not allowed to speak about."

"Please Rose. He's hard to read, I just want to know more about him." I pleaded.

"Fine. But if he asks about this conversation I told you nothing okay?" She looked me in the eyes.

I nodded my head. "Of course, it stays between us."

"What would you like to know Ms. Bush?" She broke eye contact but still looked in my direction.

"Do you know why his relationship with Martin is the way it is?" I asked. "And please call me Kaydence."

Rose looked down to her cup of tea. "Kaydence, I lied about when I originally met Mr. Tipton. I was a friend of his mothers." She responded.

I knew from Justin that his grandmother, Martin's wife and Damon's Mother, had passed away years ago. Justin was about five when it happened which would've made Damon ten. I had never been given the details as to how it happened. I didn't know if it was this big secret of it it was Justin's way of not letting me in. If Rose was friends with her though maybe I could get more information.

"How did it happen?" I asked.

"She had a brain aneurysm, it was sudden and tragic. Ava was already out of the house raising her son which left Damon to take on Martin on his own. That man ruined that boy's childhood." Rose answered.

Her response only intrigued me more. My father had passed as well, so I could relate to Damon in a way. Both deaths were sudden but my father's had happened on the job. He was a pilot for a plane, there was an issue and the plane went down. He didn't make it and all I had left was my mother, I was eight at the time.

When I found out about my mother's cancer I felt like that eight year old girl again. I couldn't lose her, she was all that I had left. Before she got sick I was working an internship for a clothing company, I had to quit to return home a year ago when she had been diagnosed. Two months after my return I found her collapsed in the hallway and she was admitted to the hospital. I tried getting jobs after that but due to my lack of experience actually working anywhere no place wanted to hire me.

I met Julie in a bar one night and she explained to me what she was doing. With the pressure of making sure the medical bills were paid along with maintaining the payments for my mom's house I caved into trying it. Julie helped me get started on getting my clients so the money wasn't bad. I kept doing it after that, it was easy work. Dangerous, but very easy. Then Justin entered my life and now I'm here.

"What do you mean by ruined?" I asked, finally breaking away from my thoughts.

"Damon didn't get to be a kid. Martin dealt with his grief by throwing himself into his work, he practically made Damon fend for himself. No child should have to do that at ten years old. The only thing he would do for Damon is set up for him to be tutored to ace his classes. He wanted Damon to get into the best college he could. Damon's childhood was being responsible and being set up to take the company when it was time." Rose explained further.

I felt sympathy for Damon. Rose was right, that was no way for a child to go on. When my mother became my only parent she was the opposite, she made sure I was okay constantly. She made sure we went out and got our minds off everything. She would even take time off if I was sick or having a rough day.

"I had no idea." I responded.

"There's more reasons as to why Damon is not fond of Martin but I am afraid that's something you'll have to learn from him. I've already said too much." Rose was not going to give me any further information.

I sighed, "I don't feel like that'll ever happen."

She chuckled, "You both need to let your guards down. Believe it or not Damon does have a heart of gold."

"Oh really? Cause that'd be nice to find." I was a little sarcastic in my tone.

"Kaydence, you've witnessed it. He doesn't bring women into this house very often. When he has they never are here in the morning. Imagine my surprise when he called and informed me that a woman would be living here." She spoke.

"I'm only here so he would help my mother. It's all part of our agreement, that's it." I informed her.

"See, guarded right there!" she smirked. "I wholeheartedly believe that whatever your agreement was he would have still helped you if you said no. He's taken a liking to you whether he's admitted it or not. The way you two have interacted has been interesting to watch."

"What do you mean?" I gave her a puzzled look.

"You challenge him with your tone and attitude. But I think it keeps him intrigued." the phone ringing interrupted her before she could speak further.

Rose made her way to the phone in the kitchen. Damon still had a landline in the house, nowadays that was practically unheard of. Most people just used their cell phones. I assume though the landline made it easier for him to have Rose answer and then pick up in another room if he needed to.

Rose brought the phone over. "Martin Tipton would like to speak with you." She spoke as she tried to hand it over to me.

"To me?" I raised my eyebrow.

"Yes, you. Here." She practically forced the phone into my hand at this point.

I didn't want to keep Martin waiting any longer, I brought the phone up to my ear. "Hello?"

"Kaydence, how are you?" Martin asked.

"I'm well. How are you?" I responded.

"I'm fine. Listen I was wanting to talk to you about Justin and Damon." he spoke.

An uneasy feeling started to develop a pit in my stomach. I just prayed he wasn't using Damon's absence as an opportunity to tell me how he really felt about the situation. I didn't feel up to being reprimanded today.