My Hidden Little Gem

"I mean it Kaydence. I didn't mean to get ambushed like that. I probably should've waited to formally announce the engagement to the public, but they asked and I'm not intending to hide it." Damon spoke after a good fifteen minutes of the silent treatment.

I sighed in response. "Where are we going now?" I asked, finally talking to him.

"Somewhere special to me." he kept his gaze on the road.

He continued driving until we reached a pond. Thankfully it seemed like no one was here. We got out of the car and I took a deep breath of the fresh air. It was beautiful here. It was around 4:00 PM in the afternoon at this point.

Damon walked up beside me, "Beautiful isn't it?" He asked.

"Yeah, it seems so peaceful." I responded.

Damon grabbed my hand and led me close to the pond. There were some ducks swimming in it and the occasional fish would jump out of the water for just a second. There was a small pier on one side, that's where Damon appeared to be headed. I paused for a moment, causing Damon to look back at me. "You're not going to throw me in are you?" I asked.

He chuckled, "How'd you know?" he looked serious as the words left his lips.

My eyes grew a little wider, "No you will not!"

He chuckled once more, "I'm kidding. Come on." His hand was still in mine and he tried gently tugging me towards him.

"Do you promise to not throw me into any water?" I wasn't going to move until he promised.

"What are we? Five?" He joked. I kept my face serious and he sighed before responding again. "I promise Love. Now come on."

I walked with him once more. He let go of my hand as we made it towards the edge of the pier, he sat down letting his feet dangle from the edge. I sat right next to him. "What is this place?" I asked.

"I used to come here with my parents when my mom was still with us. It's about the only place we could all get away and seem like a happy family, Ava included." He explained, I didn't expect such a personal answer from him. "We stopped coming after she passed. I come here occasionally when I need to clear my head, or when I need to get away from business for a moment."

"Oh." was all I could say. I didn't know how else I was supposed to respond.

"The land we're on is owned by my father. That's why no one else is here. It's like my hidden little gem." He smiled slightly. "I plan to buy it off of him when I get a chance."

"What happened with you and your father? Your relationship doesn't seem to be well." I asked, it probably wasn't the right time but I was curious.

"I don't want to talk about it." His face went emotionless, the slight smile was gone.

"I'm sorry." I spoke quietly, "I was just curious. Your guys' relationship sucks but your president of his company. It's a little confusing in my defense."

He let out a deep sigh. "I came back four years ago because my father was under too much stress managing the company. He has high blood pressure and had a heart attack, he came back from it but decided it would be best to just be the CEO and let me mainly run things as the president. We have close to the same authority but if needed he can override what I say." Damon explained a little further.

I figured I wouldn't press for anymore details, he had said more than I knew he wanted to. I appreciate him opening up to me. Getting information from Rose on more about him felt sneaky. It was alot better when he was willing to share on his own. It didn't feel like I was going behind his back.

We sat there for a good little while, silently. It was a more comfortable silence this time. I didn't expect any of today to go how it had. The past few weeks we would have sex and do our own thing, today was alot different. He had brought me somewhere special to him. I assume it was a way for him to show me he genuinely was just trying to have a good day with me and to make up from the paparazzi incident.

He finally stood up and helped pull me up. "Let's get home now." He finally spoke.

I nodded in response and followed him to the car.

We got in and he started driving. At this point we were around two hours, maybe two and a half away from home. When we finally reached back into town it was around dinner time. "Are you hungry?" Damon asked.

"A little bit, but not much. I'm still pretty full from lunch." I responded.

"So like McDonald's then?" he suggested.

I looked at him in shock. "You would eat McDonald's?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

He chuckled, "Just because I have money doesn't mean I can't get behind a double quarter pounder every once in a while."

"Well, that's fine with me. Just surprising." I responded.

He headed to the nearest McDonald's and we went inside to eat. He had gotten his double quarter pounder and I had gotten a big mac meal. We ate our food and then headed back home. In all honesty today had been a good day with Damon. I felt slightly closer to him that I did before.

We returned back to the house, it was around 8:00 PM now. Damon pulled me in for a kiss before I was able to make it up the stairs. Our lips moved in sync with each other, there seemed to be a little more passion coming from his lips compared to when he'd normally kiss me.

He finally pulled away with a smirk, "Don't forget I want to see those sketches."

I nodded in response.

I returned to my room to get myself into pajamas and go to bed. My phone started ringing as I was changing into a tank top and sweat. I decided whoever it was could wait, however they felt they couldn't because they kept calling again and again. I walked over to where I had my phone sitting on my nightstand. It was the Hospital.

"Hello." I finally answered.

"Ms. Bush, we need to come down immediately. Your mother has had a setback." A voice on the other end spoke.