Are We Clear?

"Well for starters I made them announce they were no longer associated with us." Damon answered, a malicious smile then spread to his lips. "Then I proceeded to have my men cut off the hand of my nephew. That's what he gets for trying to lay it on my woman. Then I had them waterboard my sister as her punishment. Ava is terrified of drowning so I used that to my advantage."

I could see Meredith and Alastair shift uncomfortably. I don't think they expected Damon to be so willing to tell what he had done. I hadn't heard the details fully myself. Julie mentioned Justin's missing hand and I suspected Damon was the cause. Now here he was confirming it.

"That's just the start though. No big business will take my highly qualified nephew on because they don't want to make an enemy out of me. As for my sister I have her locked up like she is a prisoner." Damon's malicious smile remained. "The only reason they both still have their heads is out of respect for my father. I had no problem with the disposing of them like the trash they are. And think, if I can do that to my own blood imagine what I can do to people who mean absolutely nothing to my family."

"Damon, can't we just try to reach common ground? Kaydence is all we have left of my brother. We actually want a relationship with her." Alastair was brave enough to speak up.

"I thought I've made it clear. I don't want a relationship with you people. Damon doesn't speak for me, this is my choice!" I was slightly frustrated that they kept talking as if Damon owned me. That wasn't how our relationship worked.

"Why Kaydence?" Meredith asked. "You only know what you've heard."

"But I've heard enough! You're lying, about everything and I can tell. You wanted me in Dallas because then you have leverage. You practically want to kidnap me and hold me for ransom." I responded. "Not because you want to know me, but because you're about to lose everything. You've had twenty-two years to find me and have a relationship. You showed up when you saw an opportunity. I want you guys to leave and I never want to see you again."

"And just so we're clear those are her words, not mine." Damon chimed in. "You came here with your head up your ass Meredith, like you can do no wrong. You're the reason you won't ever truly know your granddaughter. Not me."

"I tried but Samuel wouldn't allow it. I care about her!" Meredith was trying to fight back like she was a caring grandmother.

"You care about her?" Martin asked, everyone's attention was now on him. "If you care about her Meredith tell me one thing you know about Kaydence that I don't."

Meredith thought for a moment but she couldn't find anything. "Well how am I supposed to know when I've been kept away all this time?"

"I've been where you are." Martin responded. "I found out about a grandchild I didn't know about. The difference is Meredith, I made the effort to prove myself to be in the child's life. I think if Kaydence wants you to leave then that's what's best and you should respect her decision."

"Your family has always been against us!" it was becoming clear Meredith was becoming frustrated. "Why can't you talk some sense into these two? Don't you know how to handle your family Martin?"

"Don't you know how to handle your family's money so you don't go broke and have to steal from others?" Damon spoke before Martin could. "Our family has been doing just fine until you showed up."

"He's right, things with my family have been in a good place recently." Martin's tone held a little anger as he spoke to Meredith. "I will not have you come in here and mess things up just because you think you're entitled to your granddaughter."

"Entitled? She's our blood! She should be closer to us than you! You Tipton's act all high and mighty but when it comes down to it you're just big bullies!" Meredith was practically acting like a child at this point.

This started being about me, but it was much deeper than that now. This was taking a turn to the problems these two families had before I was even in the mix. They clearly had their own problems being brought back again. I decided to keep quiet because I didn't want to get into the mix of the bigger issues.

"Bullies? We're bullies because unlike you we have morals? We don't use our family like you've tried to use my wife. We don't agree to doing business to try to embezzle money. Everything we've succeeded at we've created on our own. Something your family can't do." Damon responded with a harsh tone. "My father built Tipton Enterprises from the ground up and your family almost ruined it!"

"That was years ago, get over it." Meredith sneered.

"No. We won't get over it. I almost lost my life because of your family's antics!" Martin's voice shook with rage. He had enough. "I didn't invite you here to have a second chance with Kaydence. I invited you here because I wanted to be face to face with you. I wanted you to see my face again after everything you allowed!"
For the first time tonight Meredith was silent. Her face was drained of color as Martin proceeded to go off on her and Alastair. Damon angry was scary but having both him and Martin was scarier. I saw how he went off on Justin and I knew that Meredith was about to get the same treatment.

"You will be leaving this house without Kaydence, and when you do you're going to go right to the airport and leave Nashville for good. Never come back here and never contact any member of my family again, including Kaydence!" Martin ordered. "Or else."

"Or else what?" Meredith gulped as she asked.

"Damon, I'll let it be your decision on what should be done with them. You are far more ruthless than I am." Martin glanced at Damon.

Damon gave Meredith and Alastair a sardonic smile. "Try to mess with my family again and I'll have Bushemp Industries gone in a matter of minutes. Try to contact my wife to fuck up my relationship and I can promise it will be the last fucking thing you will ever do. You will be punished and my face will be the last goddamn thing you'll be seeing." His words weren't a threat, they were a promise and I knew he meant them. "Are we clear?"

"Kaydence." Alastair spoke my name. It was like his way of pleading for me to have Damon back off.

"I think my husband has made himself clear and I support his decision. You can go now." I could see the hope of me coming to their defense disappear. Normally I wouldn't be so cold but I remembered something Damon told me in the hospital. When someone wrongs you, have nothing but emptiness towards them.