You Won't Know Unless You Find Out

A week passed since my last conversation with Damon. I had thought maybe some time to cool off would be good for him. I figured maybe he would call me and we could discuss this further but he didn't. Either this was a really messy situation I helped get him into or he was just this upset with me.

I closed up the store and had Cody take me to my mother's home. She had invited me for dinner and I wanted to talk to her to get advice. The car drove off and I looked through my phone hoping to maybe find a message today from Damon that maybe I missed. There was nothing though, I put my phone in my purse and watched the city through the window.

We pulled up to the house and I excused Cody to go do something for himself as I might be awhile. I walked up the steps and knocked on the door. My mother hurriedly answered with a smile. She was looking so well and her hair was longer now and was in sort of a pixie cut.

"Come in honey!" she moved aside for me to step in.

"What are we having?" I asked as she led us to the kitchen after shutting the door.

"I know it's been awhile so I made your favorite. Meatloaf with homemade macaroni and cheese." she responded as she pulled the meatloaf out of the oven

I hadn't had my mother's cooking in so long it seemed. Her meatloaf was absolutely my favorite and I couldn't wait to bite into it. "Thank you." I responded as I took my seat at the table.

She brought me a plate that she had dished the food up on and I waited for her to sit down. Her caretaker Judith hurried in as she was also going to be joining us for dinner tonight. "Sorry, the store took a little longer." Judith apologized as she took a bag of rolls out of a grocery sack.

After Judith and my mother got their plates they sat down at the table and we all began to eat. I ate my food quicker than I expected I would. I didn't have any snacks in between my small lunch I had packed and so I felt like I was starving now. My mom looked at me curiously as she noticed how quick the food was disappearing.

"Did you miss my food that much?" She chuckled.

"Yeah, I guess I did." I faked a smile.

"Thank you for coming to dinner tonight Kaydence. I know how busy you've been with your store." She spoke before taking a bite of her food.

"Yeah, I'm sorry." I apologized for not coming around as much as I hoped. "It's just been crazy, I'll try to come once a week."

"That would be amazing." she smiled.

We finished the meal while my mother and Judith chatted between each other. I sat quietly and listened as they talked. My mother noticed my silence and I could see she was slightly worried. She looked at me as if she knew there was something on my mind.

"Something is wrong, what is it?" She asked.

"It's just." I paused, I was losing my courage. "Nothing."

"The hell it is. I can see something is on your mind Kaydence. What's going on?" She looked at me intently.

"I just need to talk to you mom." I spoke lowly. "Alone."

She nodded, "Please excuse us Judith."

Judith nodded. "I'll get the dishes cleaned up while you chat."

My mother stood up and I followed her to her bedroom, she shut the door behind us. This was a safe place for me, it was where we always talked when I was troubled. I needed to come clean to her and get this off my chest. She wouldn't be thrilled but she would guide me in the right direction.

She shut the bedroom door after I entered and we sat on her bed. "What's wrong Kay?" she asked as she rubbed my back with her hand.

"Do you promise to not judge me?" I looked at her already feeling shame.

"Of course." She nodded.

"For starters, I'm pregnant." I confessed.

"I felt like there was something different about you when you walked in the door. How far along?" she asked.

"Nine weeks now." I answered.

"You and Damon are in love, is this not a happy thing?" I could hear the concern in her words.

"He doesn't know yet mom. We're kind of on a break right now." I tried to fight back any tears but the hormones from being pregnant were no help at all.

"What happened?" She was puzzled by the sudden change in our relationship.

That's when I could no longer hold it in. I felt myself break down as I started from the very beginning, the prostitution. I told her about how I had gotten involved with Justin and what he made me do to help keep up with the bills. I told her about when he got physical and how I left and went back to the streets. I then went on about how I started to get involved with Damon and how something that was just to mess with Justin became so real. I told her about all the things that Justin and Ava had done to come between us and finished off with Justin's latest plan.

I could see her concern grow more as she listened to my story. I had purposely kept this all from her and she knew why. I could see a slight hurt in her but she never looked at me once with disappointment. She just nodded along as she seemed to understand why everything had happened like it did.

She pulled me into a hug and let me cry on her shoulder. "It's okay." She spoke softly. "I never liked Justin. I could tell he was a prick."

I pulled away from her and looked at her with shame. "I'm so sorry."

"Don't be." She responded sternly but then softened the look she gave me. "I'm sorry that you had been put in that position. I don't agree with what you did but your intentions were good. I'm just sorry that piece of shit keeps coming in between you two."

"What do I do mom?" I asked, hopeful to get any helpful advice.

"Kaydence, I think you need to try to talk more with Damon on this. Ultimately though, I think you're going to have to talk to Martin. It sounds like all you've done dear is avoid it and it's causing you nothing but trouble." She removed a piece of hair that was stuck to my face from my tears that had escaped and tucked it behind my ear.

I sighed. "I just worry about making the situation worse. What if it hurts Damon more than helps him."

"You won't know unless you find out Kaydence. I'm not saying you have to but please please, promise you'll think about going and speaking with him." She looked at me seriously.

I nodded. "I'll think about it."