So I Had A Few Drinks

I waited up for Damon as long as I could. I was beginning to worry about him. I pulled out my phone and pulled up his name. I waited as the phone rang. My heart seemed to beat harder and harder the longer it took him to answer. My anxiety was finally getting to me. Then it seemed to melt away once I heard his voice on the other end.

"Hey Love, I'm sorry. I got caught up in some work at the office." he apologized. "I'll be home shortly."

"Okay." I sighed. "Next time tell me please. I was getting worried about you."

"I know, I'm sorry." He apologized sincerely once more. "Go get yourself some rest Love."

"I will. I love you." I responded.

"I love you too." He spoke once more before hanging up the phone.

I got up from the couch and took his advice. I had been worrying so much I needed to get some rest and relax. I made my way up the stairs and into the bedroom. I changed into more comfortable clothing and proceeded to lay down in the bed. I placed my hand on my stomach as I felt Scarlett moving around. I watched as she kicked, it was more apparent on the outside now.

I lost track of time and eventually fell asleep. I was woken up a few hours later to the noise of something breaking down stairs. I immediately felt fear shoot through my body. The first thought in my mind is what if it was an intruder? What if the man that tried to kill Damon had come back to finish the job?

My heart pounded in my chest. I booked it out of the bedroom and down to Sterling's room. I needed to protect these children at all costs. I opened the door and slammed it shut behind me. I locked the door and noticed Sterling had sat up with a confused look on his face.

"What's going on mommy?" he asked in a sleepy voice.

"Be quiet honey. There was some noise downstairs." I responded.

Max and a few other guards had been on watch for Sterling and I. I wanted to reach out to him and see what he may have known but I couldn't. If he was on the trail of whoever it was that was here then I could give him away. It was in our best interest to just be quiet and let the security do their work.

The sound of Sterling's door knob jiggle made me jump. I felt like my heart was going to break out of my chest because it was beating so hard. Then there was a knock followed by a voice. "It's just me Love."

I didn't realize I had been holding my breath. I finally let it out as I went to open the door. "You scared the shit out of me." I spoke once the door was open to reveal his face.

"I didn't mean to." he responded.

"You could've called me!" My voice slightly raised. Jet let out a bark and that's when the realization hit me. We needed to leave Sterling's room because I didn't know how this conversation was going to go. "Let's go to our room so that Sterling can get back to sleep."

I pushed my way past Damon and he shut the door behind us. I marched my way to the bedroom and waited for him to come inside. I wanted to know exactly what had kept him out so late. I expected answers and he had better damn well be ready to give them.

I noticed he stumbled in. In the light of the room I noticed his appearance was a little off. Usually he prided himself on keeping himself looking nice. Now he had two buttons near the collar of his shirt undone and his tie seemed to be barely hanging on. Something wasn't right with him and I knew right away what it was.

"Where were you?" I asked.

He came closer and I could smell the alcohol on him. I didn't pick up on it right away in Sterling's room because we hadn't been this close. Right now it was hard to ignore. It was strong, stronger than what I would expect from his normal two drink minimum. He clearly had indulged in it a little more than normal. I waited patiently as he thought about what answer to give me.

"I was working and I lost track of time." He responded.

"Working?" I questioned. "Because it smells like you've been doing more than just working. Be honest Damon."

He sighed. "I worked and then I decided to go out to the bar for a drink. No harm in it. I can't enjoy myself occasionally?"

"I never said that you couldn't." I kept my tone stern as I spoke. "But from the looks of it you've had more than normal. How much did you drink Damon?"

I knew from Rose and from him opening up he had a problem years ago. He still battled holding himself back from time to time I've noticed but only when he was angry. I was just worried about him. I didn't want him to fall back into the grasps that alcohol had once had on him.

"None of your fucking business." He spoke with annoyance in his tone.

"It is my fucking business Damon!" His words had pissed me off. "You already know I'm on edge and here you are coming in and making a ruckus downstairs! Not only that but I had no idea where you were! What would you have done if I went into labor tonight?!"

"So I had a few drinks, I got a little drunk but I made sure I sobered up a little before I came home." He acted as if this was no big deal to him.

"You were doing so well, what the hell happened that led to drinking tonight?" I asked as I tried to calm myself down to have an adult conversation.

I thought he had improved. I know this was one time he let himself slip up, it could mean nothing but it also could be a sign of something bigger. Even though things seemed to be returning to normal I couldn't shake that something felt off. I felt like this behavior did nothing but confirm my suspicions.

"I don't have a good answer for you." he responded. "I just felt like going out and forgetting about all this shit that has happened to me!" he raised his voice.

"I thought work was helping you." I wanted to know where his mind was at.

"Well it's not okay!" He seemed frustrated I was making him answer for his actions. He never had to really answer to anyone before me. "It helped a little but I still just needed something a little more!"

"When are you going to admit you need help then?" I remained calm. Yelling back at him wouldn't solve anything. "There are people you can reach out to. Why don't you do it?"

"Because that makes me fucking weak!" He answered. His voice held anger within it. He was still struggling clearly but had hidden it well since I let him go back to work. "I can't get weak Kaydence."