Wanted The Best For Sterling

The black BMW pulled up to the house we had been to days ago. Sterling was about to meet his grandparents from Melissa's side. It seemed complicated to explain but once Sterling knew who he was meeting he was thrilled. He was always welcoming to having more family members.

We got out of the car and Sterling held one of my hands in his and held Damon's in his others. We walked up the steps and Damon rang the doorbell. I sensed he was a little nervous after the last visit. I felt a little nervous myself to be honest, I wasn't sure how Mrs. Bryant would act today. What if seeing us triggered her to be upset again?

The door opened and both Mr. and Mrs. Bryant were there to greet us. Mrs. Bryant pulled open the door. "Welcome." She gave us a small smile.

"Come on in." Mr. Bryant spoke as they moved to allow us inside.

Mrs. Bryant led us into the living room we had been in before. Damon and I sat down with Sterling between us. Mr. and Mrs. Bryant stared at the boy, slightly in disbelief that he was in front of them. It was silent as no one really knew what to say, until Mr. Bryant finally spoke.

"So you're Sterling?" Mr. Bryant asked as his gaze remained on the boy.

"Yes." Sterling nodded. "Daddy says that you're my grandma and grandpa from my mommy in heaven."

"Yes." Mrs. Bryant answered.

"Do you have a picture of mommy? All I have is this really old one Mrs. Strahm gave me at the orphanage." Sterling took out the picture he usually carried with him of Melissa. He got up and handed the photo over to Mrs. Bryant.

A smile found it's way onto Mrs. Bryant's lips. "Yes. I have a lot of pictures of your mommy. I can't get them for you in a little bit after we've visited."

"Okay." Sterling nodded.

Sterling made sure there weren't any more awkward silences in the room. He talked back and forth with his grandparents and asked things about Melissa. He learned that she had taken ballet as a child and was an excellent student. Mr. and Mrs. Bryant seemed eager to answer the questions he had about her.

Damon and I sat back as they interacted. We wanted to let the three of them get to know each other. The atmosphere was a lot different this time compared to the last time. When Damon and I came alone it seemed tense and heavy after he relayed the information. This time things were more relaxed.

Sterling talked their ears off for almost an hour before he was ready to stop entertaining the adults. "Do you guys have toys?" he asked.

"We don't have a lot but I'm sure we can find something for you." Mrs. Bryant responded. "Peter why don't you go out to the shed and have Mr. Tipton help you get the totes down of Melissa's old toys."

"You don't mind helping do you?" Mr. Bryant asked Damon.

"Not at all." Damon replied as he stood up. He glanced down at me. "You good?"

"Yes." I nodded.

Mr. Bryant led Damon and Sterling outside to go get the totes Mrs. Bryant requested. She watched as they exited through the back door in their hallway. Once they were outside she turned her attention to me.

"Mrs. Tipton, I'm sorry for the last time you were here. I was out of line for my comment. He's lucky to be able to have some sort of mother figure in his life." I could tell she was sincere as she spoke.

"I completely understand Mrs. Bryant. There is no need to apologize." I responded. "Please call me Kaydence."

She nodded. "You can call me Trish. Thank you for bringing him to see us."

"It's not a problem. You're his grandparents, there was no way he wouldn't eventually meet you." I gave her a small smile.

"He may look a lot like his father but he has a lot of Melissa's personality." She spoke. "He has her kindness and curiosity. It's like having a piece of her back with us."

Trish and I talked back and forth getting more acquainted with each other and I answered all the questions she had about Sterling. The more I got to know about her the more I knew these two were good people. They were like us and wanted the best for Sterling. She was a little worried that after the last visit we would keep Sterling away. I made sure she knew that was not the case.

"Can I ask you a question before the men come back in?" She asked a little nervously.

"What is it?" I responded.

"Peter told me that Damon informed him that his sister who caused all this mess was being dealt with. Is she in jail or something? I was curious to look it up but I found nothing." Trish looked at me curiously as she waited for me to answer.

I let out a small sigh. "She's not in jail. Damon's been dealing with her personally. The last thing I was told was she was being kept in a room as if she was serving time. He hasn't given me any more details but that. All I know is in the time I've been with him that he's someone you don't want to get on the bad side of. He's ruthless when it comes to punishments, even to his own sister and nephew."

"I see." She responded.

The back door opened and Sterling came running in with some toys that they had found for him. "Look, grandpa says this was my mommy's and that I can take it home!" Sterling smiled as he showed me the stuffed giraffe in his arms.

"How is everything in here?" Damon asked as he looked between Trish and I.

"Everything's good. Just a little girl talk." Trish smiled reassuringly.

We stayed a while longer at the Bryant residence. They even offered to have us stay for dinner since Trish had cooked a roast that had more than they could eat. The more time we spent with them the less things seemed to be awkward. Even Damon was getting more comfortable with them. When we finally left I could see a sense of peace on Trish's face.

"That seemed to go pretty well." I spoke as we were on the road to go home.

"Yeah." Damon nodded. "Better than I expected it to if I'm being honest."

"What did you guys do when you were outside? It seemed you guys were out there for a little while." I was curious about his time with Peter.

"He let Sterling look through all the toys. While he did that we talked about moving Melissa." He answered. "Sounds like they would like to have it done soon."