You Did More Than That

"The surgery went just fine." Dr. Prentice finally spoke.

I finally let go of the breath I had been holding in. "When can I see her?" I asked.

"She'll be wheeled in here shortly. I wanted to go over a few things with you before though." He responded.

"What is it?" Damon asked Dr. Prentice.

"Dr. Baker was wrong. It had not spread past her pancreas, however with the size and number of tumors we found it looked that way on the scans." He started to explain and then was cut off by Damon.

"So you're telling me Dr. Baker gave her a death sentence when it wasn't the case?" His tone was stern and I could sense some irritation.

"It was an honest mistake Damon, no need to get worked up over it. Looking at the scans myself it seemed that way. Scans are just scans, we don't really know one hundred percent what's going on until we can get inside and look." Dr. Prentice explained.

"I believe that." I spoke up and looked at Damon. "Dr. Baker has been nothing but helpful in trying to save my mother. If he knew it wasn't as bad as thought he would've done the surgery in a heartbeat."
Damon's stern facial expression softened. With how he had been towards Dr. Baker prior I didn't want him to cause the doctor any trouble. He was a fantastic doctor throughout this whole cancer journey. I didn't want Damon to try to have him reprimanded for one mistake. Yes it was a big one but we got a second opinion and it turned out fine.

Since word of Damon being here the administrator had visited us multiple times to make sure Damon was satisfied. It was interesting to watch how people seemed to bow down to him once they knew exactly who he was. Damon apparently donated a great amount to the hospital every year and they didn't want to risk any reason to lose it. Therefore by how he's been in the past, if he wanted to get Dr. Baker in trouble he could.

"I will still be letting the administrator know. That way the doctor can be more thorough and avoid a mistake like this in the future." Damon spoke.

"Just don't get the man fired." My tone was stern with him.

"I won't." He responded.

"Back to your mother," Dr. Prentice continued on, "we removed her pancreas entirely in the pancreatectomy. Along with part of the stomach, part of her small intestine, the bile duct, gallbladder, spleen and nearby lymph nodes. There will need to be some dietary changes but I will have the dietician go over that. She will need to have insulin going forward and to take some medication to get her enzymes in. She will need to go to a clinic for the next little while to make sure everything is in order. It's just once every two weeks. Everything went well though and your mother is now cancer free."

I couldn't help the smile that grew on my lips. These were the words she and I had been dying to hear since the diagnosis. "That's amazing. Thank you so much."

"It was my pleasure. They'll be bringing her back in here in a few moments. With how weak she was the plan is to keep her here for another week or two, see how she does and how her body handles everything and then she can go home. That also gives enough time to see if any radiation or chemo is needed further." Dr. Prentice explained.

I nodded in response. "What about when she's home?"

"She's going to need to stay on top of all medication and check ups but other than that she should be just fine." He answered.

"Thank you again." I couldn't thank this man enough, he saved my mother.

"My pleasure. I've got to get back to my patients at home, let me know if you need anything else." He looked to Damon. "I'm glad I could help."

"So am I Colton, thank you. I'll have my driver pick you up and take you to the jet." Damon responded. Then they shook hands and Dr. Prentice was on his way.

My mother had been brought in shortly after. She was still out from the surgery. I was grateful to be able to be here with her. I was grateful she made it out of this alive. I couldn't imagine life without her and I'm glad I wasn't going to have to find out for a while now.

"How are you feeling?" Damon asked me.

"A lot better. More relaxed knowing she's okay." I answered.

"We can have her stay with us. That way you can keep an eye on her." He offered.

"I don't think she would like that very much. Her house has all her memories. It was the last place she lived with my father. There's no way she would leave it." I responded.

"I can find the best live in caregiver, to make sure everything is well and that she stays on top of things." There was something in his eyes, I couldn't make out what emotion it was.

I let out a small chuckle. "Are you afraid I'm going to run off?" I joked.

He shifted his gaze to the ground. "No, I've made it clear you're sticking with me. It's just," he paused and looked up at me with sorrow in his eyes. "I never had the opportunity at a second chancr with my mother. I didn't have the ability to save her. I don't want you to go through losing your's, not if something could be done. That's why I involved Dr. Prentice."

He was being vulnerable and opening up to me. The closest thing to vulnerable he had been was at that pond. He seemed to be letting me in more on who he was. It was like he was doing it to make our relationship more genuine.

"I know what you mean. I feel the same about my father." I took the seat next to him. "Thank you for everything Damon."

"All I did was make a phone call." He responded.

"You know you did more than that." I lowered my voice. "You got me off the street. What I was doing became normal to me, it shouldn't have been that way. I had to treat it like an everyday job just to feel better about myself. You have made sure I've been taken care of every single day since I moved in with you."

He nodded in response but didn't say anything. His confident demeanor was coming back so I knew my words had to be turning his ego back on.

"You've defended me against dumb ass Justin. That's been pretty entertaining." I added for a laugh.

He chuckled, "Well someone has to do it."

I planted a kiss on his cheek. In return he amped it up further and placed his lips on mine. Our lips moved in sync for a moment before pulling away. It had been days since he had kissed me, I was too caught up with things here at the hospital. I was also an emotional wreck.

We sat there, staring into each other's eyes for a moment. That's when I realized I didn't just like Damon Tipton. I was beginning to fall for Damon Tipton.