When Will You Be Back?

The next day approached quickly. I got myself out of bed and was getting ready to go pay Sterling another visit. I let my long golden hair flow in it's natural waves. I decided to dress casual and went with a pair of jeans and a long sleeved purple shirt. I could feel my clothes were beginning to fit a little tighter than they had before.

I grabbed my jacket and made my way down the stairs quickly. It was about noon now and I needed to be leaving to visit Sterling. Theo was already waiting for me as I exited the front door of the mansion. I hurried into the backseat and I could feel myself getting excited about seeing this child again.

Theo pulled out of the driveway and began to head into the city. I passed the time during the drive by scrolling through my phone. I checked for any messages that may need my attention. Thankfully there was nothing that had to be dealt with right now.

"We're here Ms. Bush." Theo spoke as the care came to a stop. The drive had gone by quicker than expected.

"Thank you Theo. I'll let you know when I need a ride back." I thanked as I exited the car.

I made my way up the steps of the orphanage and entered through the doors I had come through yesterday. The same girl, Emily, was at the receptionist desk once again. "Hello Ms. Bush." She greeted me. "Are you here for Sterling again?"

"Yes." I answered.

"Follow me." She stepped out from behind the desk and led me down a hallway.

The hallway led to two doubled doors that opened up to outside. I could see through the glass on the doors that there were children playing on a playground. She opened the door and we stepped outside in the slightly chilly air.

"He's right over there. If you two rather have one on one time away from the others he can take you back to the inside playroom." Emily pointed to the small boy who seemed to be looking for something, or someone.

"Thank you." I responded. I made my way to Sterling who was sitting on a bench holding something in his hands.

His eyes lit up and he smiled excitedly as he noticed headed towards him. "You came!"

"Of course I came." I smiled in return. "I told you I'd be back so we can play some more."

I took a seat next to him on the bench and noticed he had something wrapped up in a napkin. He began to unfold it and revealed three sugar cookies. "I saved them from lunch so we can eat together. I got one for me, one for you and one for your baby."

"And how is the baby supposed to eat it?" I chuckled slightly.

"The baby is in your tummy. You eat it and then the baby will eat it." He explained as he handed me the two cookies.

"Thank you Sterling." I responded as I took the cookies from his hands. I took the extra one and broke it in half. I handed one of the halves back to him. "The baby is still so small, I don't think it can eat all of the cookie. Why don't you and the baby share?"

Sterling thought for a moment and then nodded. "I guess if that's what the baby wants."

We remained side by side on the bench as we ate the cookies. "When's your birthday Sterling?" I asked, I knew Martin said it was a few months away but I wasn't sure how soon it was.

"March sixth." He answered.

"That's not very far away at all." I responded. "What do you want for your birthday?"

His icy blue eyes looked up at me as he thought of what to answer. "I want a remote control car. But I can't have one yet."

"Why not?" I asked.

"Because I don't have my own room to put it in. I share a room with Marcus and he breaks things." He looked slightly sad for a moment but then his smile returned. "Maybe when I'm big like you I can have one!"

"I'll see what I can do to get you one sooner." I responded as I tousled his hair with my hand.

We finished our cookies and went inside to get out of the chilly weather. Today Sterling decided he wanted to have me draw with him. He drew him and I standing under a rainbow and I drew him a picture of various animals. We exchanged drawings and he gave me a smile.

We then went to play with the legos we had played with yesterday. We decided as a team to build a house as big as we could. Once we were finished we went ahead and knocked it down. Watching Sterling laugh and smile as we played made it hard for me to not fall in love with this little boy. He was special and if I could I would've taken him home right away.

I glanced at the clock and noticed it was six in the evening. "Oh man, I have to get going." I spoke as I stood up.

"When will you be back?" He asked.

"In a couple days, I promise." I gave him a reassuring smile.

He nodded in response and I made my way to exit the room. I stopped when I heard the quick pitter patter of his feet. I turned around as he almost toppled me over in a hug. "Thanks for playing with me again Kaydence."

I don't know how to explain it but my heart felt full after his hug. I left the orphanage with a smile and it remained all the way home. I entered the front door and I was surprised to see the silhouette of a man on the couch in darkness. He stood up and strode his way over to me. I was caught off guard and slightly surprised to see that Damon had come home early.

"Where have you been?" He asked. He didn't look happy that I had been out when he came home.

"I went to the local orphanage today. I decided I wanted to help out around there and visit with some of the children." I responded as Martin had directed. Sterling didn't want to see him yet, if I told Damon he would go force the child to face him. Sterling needed to be ready to meet Damon.

"Who told you to do that?" He wasn't mad but he wasn't pleased about it.

"I decided to do so while you were gone. I'm going to be a mother soon, I wanted to go and get some first hand experience with the children." I explained.

He nodded. "Very well. Now I'm back so I need to fulfill my promise Love. Meet me in the car." He began to head for the garage door.

"Why?" I asked in confusion.

"Because we're going on our date tomorrow but it won't be here in Nashville. Let's go." He responded and then exited through the door leading to the garage.