You Have A Short Temper Sometimes

"Damon, we really should talk." Martin tried to plead with him.

"About what then?" Damon asked shortly.

"It is indeed about Justin." Martin sighed.

"I fucking knew it!" Damon's voice was filled with anger and hate. "Fuck him and fuck you for forcing me to let him come back! I hope you enjoyed seeing Sterling for the last fucking time! As for your granddaughter, you won't even know her through pictures! I won't allow it!"

"Damon, please-" Martin began again but Damon cut him off.

"One last thing, you can tell your men they don't need to watch over Kaydence. I have people that are more qualified to be looking over my wife. Have fun with the piece of shit in your study!" Damon stormed off without another word.

We didn't waste any more time in the mansion. I felt bad for Martin but I knew now was not the time to fight Damon on his words. It wouldn't end well as he was already beyond angry. The best I could do was listen and try to talk it out with him later.

We got into the black BMW and Damon drove off quickly. We sat in silence the entire ride home. Even Sterling had picked up that this was not the time for conversation. I glanced over at Damon from time to time as he remained focused on the road.

He pulled into the garage and we went inside of the mansion. "Sterling, why don't you go up and get ready for bed." I suggested.

Sterling looked between Damon and I. As if he was trying to determine if it was worth it to put up a fight. "Okay mommy." He finally spoke before heading up the stairs.

Once Sterling was out of earshot I focused my attention on Damon. "So are we going to talk about that or not?"

"What's there to discuss?" Damon responded flatly.

"Why did he barge in like that and what exactly did you do?" I wanted to know details. It was the only way to determine how pissed off Justin really was.

He didn't say anything else. He marched into the kitchen and I followed right behind him. He got a glass from the cupboard and got a bottle of whiskey out from one of the cabinets. He poured himself some of the whiskey in a glass and took a swig of it. That was my hint of how bad this really was. Damon only drank on special occasions or when he was angrier than ever.

He finished his drink and slammed the glass onto the counter top. He stood there silently. I could tell he was thinking but I didn't know what about. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to know.

"Talk to me Damon." I spoke up after standing with him in a few minutes of silence.

"He was trying to get a manager's job at a local tech corporation. So I called the company and met with the CEO. I offered to do business with him on the condition that he didn't hire Justin." Damon explained. "And I told him that if he did hire Justin that I would make sure his company was buried."

"I thought he only had another week here, why was he trying to get a job?" I asked.

"Because then he would have reason to beg Martin to stay. I knew this would fucking happen." He called Martin by his name, this was really bad.

"What do you think is going to happen now?" I questioned further. I didn't like the idea of Justin attempting to stay here long term. Everything had been going so well and now it would be like we needed to watch our backs.

"I don't know. But if I have it my way he'll be gone soon. I don't care what I have to do this time. I'll put him in the ground if I need to." His words were threatening and I knew he meant everything he was saying.

"I think you should still at least see what your father wanted to discuss." I suggested, which caused him to glare at me. "He's not a stupid man. There has to be a reason he's let Justin have more time after everything he has done."

"He is a smart man. The problem is he's too soft hearted. Justin's probably told him some sob story to get him back on his side. And of course because of the extremes I went to on Ava he feels that he needs to be easier on Justin." Damon spoke. "He made his decision, now he can fucking deal with it. I'm not letting our children, or you, be around that bullshit."

"I understand." I didn't want to push too much.

It wasn't as obvious as when we left Martin's but he was still worked up. I understood why Martin wanted to wait to talk with Damon until after dinner, but it seems that was the wrong decision tonight. Maybe things would have turned out differently if Martin had been straightforward when we arrived? There was no way of telling now though. What's done has been done.

Damon put the bottle of whiskey away and placed his glass in the sink. "I thought Martin had enough common sense to have handled this whole thing differently. Clearly he isn't thinking straight. Maybe I should get his ass put into an old folks home." Damon scoffed.

"That's not fair." I responded to his comment. "Don't say things like that when you are unaware of his reasoning."

"It doesn't matter. I don't care about what his reasons are. He had multiple opportunities to be upfront and honest with me." Damon stated. "And if he had any special reasons they should've been disclosed before I made the call for Justin to return."

"I agree. But sometimes you can be hard to talk to Damon." I didn't want him to let Justin ruin the relationship he had rebuilt with Martin. "You have a short temper sometimes."

"Are you siding with him Kaydence?" Damon's eyes looked in mine intensely. "Because I'd like to think as my wife you of all people would be on my side!"

"I am on your side! But right now you're letting your anger control your decisions. You need to think about this with a level head before you decide to cut your father off from us." I responded. "We've been together for almost a year now. I know how you react to things and I'm just saying you should consider seeing what reasons he has. If you don't feel like it's good enough then fine. Cut him off, whatever, but make sure you have the whole story before you act."

He stood there quietly. It seemed like maybe my words were beginning to get through to him. If Martin had a good explanation then it deserved to be heard. I knew there was more to the story. With how much Justin angered Martin he definitely wasn't just back because Martin felt kind. Afterall Justin could've ruined all of Martin's success. I just needed Damon to be willing to listen and give his father a chance.

"Fine." Damon finally spoke. "I'm not promising anything but I will think about it. Just give me a few days."