Where She Belongs

"What the hell was that?" Damon asked. He had his back to me and I was cuddled up against him in our bed.

"Your daughter." I smirked.

I was about twenty-six weeks at this point. Our life was so chaotic it seemed to go by faster than I expected. Scarlett was very active in the mornings. I had felt little movements here and there the last few weeks but I didn't think much of it. She was growing bigger though and now it was hard to miss when she kicked me.

Damon flipped over to face me. "That's her?" He asked as his hand made it's way down to caress my growing stomach. She must've picked up that he was looking for her because she kicked his hand. "That's amazing." he spoke in response to her movement.

"It is, isn't it?" I smiled at him.

He placed his lips onto mine to give me a kiss. It was a light peck and he pulled himself away. "We should probably get out of bed and get ready Love."

Melissa's service was set for around eleven this afternoon. We planned to meet up with her parents at the cemetery. The plot had been prepared and her casket was already moved to the funeral home close by to the cemetery. All that was left to do was lay her to rest where she belonged.

Damon and I crawled out of the bed to change our clothes. I chose a black long sleeve dress and Damon wore an all black suit. I did a little bit of makeup while Damon went to get Sterling ready for the day. I went with just a natural look and let my golden hair flow in it's normal waves.

We all met downstairs at the table for breakfast. Rose had prepared some pancakes, scrambled eggs and sausage links. "This looks yummy Miss Rose." Sterling complimented as a plate was set in front of him.

He wore an all black suit just like Damon. He was like an exact copy of his father. The only difference is they didn't wear their hair the same. Sterling had asked for a haircut a few days ago. I let him choose what style he wanted, he cut it really short on the sides but only shortened the hair in the middle a little bit so he could have a fohawk hairstyle.

We ate our breakfast and then went to the garage to get into the car. Damon started up the BMW and we were on our way. Damon held my hand as he drove the car. Though he didn't show it I knew he was nervous and on edge.

He still felt responsible for everything that happened to Melissa. It was one thing to talk about her death but it was another to face burying her. This made it all the more real for him. But it was the only way he was going to get any closure on the situation.

We turned into the cemetery and the Bryant's were already parked at the grave site. Damon parked the black BMW behind their car and we got out of it. "Mr. and Mrs. Bryant it's nice to see you again." Damon greeted.

"Nice to see you as well." Mr. Bryant spoke.

Trish nudged her husband. "Stop being so formal Peter, it's much more comfortable to be on a first name basis with them." she glanced at me and gave me a small smile. "Isn't that right Kaydence?"

"Absolutely." I gave her a smile in return

Sterling walked up to them as we continued speaking to give each of his grandparents a hug. I could see Trish beginning to let her emotions surface as she hugged Sterling tightly. SHe held him as she looked at the raised vault that contained Melissa inside. She finally let go of Sterling and he returned back to my side.

"So that's where mommy sleeps while she's in heaven?" He looked up at Damon while pointing at the vault with the casket inside.

"Yes." Damon responded. "But now we can come visit with her anytime we want. We can come put flowers down for her on her birthday and for special occasions or just because you want to."

"I would like that. What kind of flowers did mommy like?" He asked as he looked over to Trish.

"She loved yellow roses." Trish answered him.

A car door closing caught our attention. I turned to see Mrs. Strahm coming to join us. I talked to her about Melissa a few times and I could tell they had some sort of relationship. It only seemed right that she join us here today.

"Welcome Mrs. Strahm, I'm glad you could join us today." I spoke as she got closer to us.

"Not a problem at all." She responded and then her eyes caught the vault. I could see a slight sadness in her face. "Seeing it makes it really sink in doesn't it?"

"Yes it does." I nodded.

The six of us stood there as we waited for the person to come and dedicate the grave for us. It was quiet but that didn't last long with Sterling. He started to talk about his birthday party that he was going to have this weekend. As it got closer the more and more excited he got.

After about twenty minutes a man pulled up and got out of the car. "Sorry if I'm late." he spoke as he approached us.

"No worries Thomas." Peter responded and then looked at Damon. "This is one of our friends that's with the church. We asked him to come and do the dedication for Melissa. I hope that's okay."

"Of course." Damon nodded.

The service had officially begun. Thomas proceeded to do the dedication of the grave. Damon held my hand tightly as everything went on. He was a pro at hiding his feelings but the grip on my hand was obvious he was feeling something. I glanced to see Melissa's parents trying to hold it together but it was hard for them. Peter and Trish held onto each other tightly.

Once the dedication was finished Thomas gave Melissa's parents a hug and went on his way. Mrs. Strahm thanked us for having her and left right after Thomas. She wanted to give us time on our own with each other.

Trish and Peter both approached us. "Thank you for bringing her back to us." Trish spoke as she looked at Damon.

"It was the least I could do." Damon responded. "She deserved this. After everything it was the only way I could make up for any of the mess I caused her."

"Son, you can't blame yourself for what happened to her." Peter stated as he looked at Damon with concern. "It sounds like it would've been risky whether you were there with her or not. Forgive yourself, Melissa wouldn't want the guilt to continue to eat at you."

"You're right." Damon nodded. "I'm just glad she can be home where she belongs."