Marry Me

"Kaydence." He sighed "I just want to make sure you're that you're confident you want to wait on a big ceremony."

"I don't want one, not right this moment. After I've had the baby I would love one." I answered while still making the irritation clear in my voice.

"Okay." He nodded.

"Can we talk about Sterling now?" I folded my arms across my chest.

"I just need a little more time Kaydence-." Damon looked at me apologetically.

"You need more time? Bull shit Damon!" I cut him off from responding. "How much longer is that little boy going to have to look at your damn building every time he looks out of the window at the orphanage? How much longer is he going to know he has a dad out there that just hasn't come and gotten him? It breaks my heart to see him there when he can be at home with his family!"

"Kaydence, I-" he started but I cut him off again.

"You make everyone else deal with the things they've done! It's time to deal with your own shit Damon! Being away from him is just going to make him think that what he thought all these years was true!" My voice was slightly raised at him. "I promised I would bring him home with us and I intend to keep that promise. I will not stop talking about him until you can actually tell me you have a plan."

"If you would let me finish there is a purpose for the wedding talk." He responded.

"No Damon. I will not even talk about a wedding until there's a concrete plan for Sterling!" I was standing my ground. Thankfully no one else was around to hear us. "Someone has to have his back."

"Kaydence, I love you but shut up." Damon sighed as he turned to face me. "You keep cutting me off before I have finished. You haven't even listened to everything I had to say, I need you to let me continue."

"Why should I? You're not even concerned when I bring up Sterling!" I was frustrated with how he was dealing with this. "Is business going to come before me and our baby too? This isn't fair to him or to our family. Our baby should be with her big brother. Your father and I worked hard to get this to happen for you!"

"Kaydence, let me talk please." He pleaded

"Not until I'm done! You say you aren't running but you came back and then here we are. Running away from your problems yet again!" I was so frustrated with how this all played out. I gave him the few days he had requested to think this over. "It's time for you to be a man and be responsible."

"Are you done yet?" he sighed as he waited for me to respond.

"No, I'm not done-" He cut me off with a kiss before I could say anymore.

His lips were pressed on to mine and I caved in to kissing him back. Our lips moved in sync with each other. He finally pulled away and moved his lips to my ear. "Stop interrupting me and let me finish. If you yell at me one more time instead of hearing me out I will take your pretty little ass back to our room and you'll be punished."

I could tell in his tone he was fed up with me not letting him speak. Damon was used to being in charge and having control over almost every situation. Before I came into his life it seemed he didn't have to worry about fighting back with anyone. I was a challenge for him but that's why we were so drawn to each other. His threat of a punishment wasn't malicious, it was that he would take me to the bedroom where he knew I would almost instantly submit to his dominance.

"Well what more do you have to say then?" I asked.

"Kaydence, we're here for more than business. While I was gone I had my legal team look into everything. I pretty much just have to establish paternity with Sterling. Then I can be put on the birth certificate and he can go home with me. I've already got the process started." he began to explain himself but I cut him off again.

"Then why are we here instead of getting him home?" I asked.

"Well Love, if you haven't noticed my house isn't exactly kid friendly. I had no intentions of having children after I thought Sterling had passed away with Melissa, so I bought a house with that mindset." he explained. "I didn't realize how much I wanted kids until that disagreement in New York. I knew I was going to have to make changes for our baby when I found out you were pregnant. But I have to make changes now for Sterling. I can't bring him home with nothing for him and he needs his own room. So I brought you here so we could get away from the construction that I've got being done in a couple of the rooms."

I nodded in response. At least he had a better reason for being here. "Well I guess that's a decent reason. But I think it would be better to stay in Nashville at a hotel there. With your son."

"I hear you. I brought you here for something else but needed to see where you were on it." He continued on. "Kaydence, I know you've bonded with Sterling. You two have gotten so close to each other. You definitely know him better than I do. I know it might be a lot to ask and if you don't think it's a good idea that's fine and you can tell me. I'll understand I promise. Sterling needs a mom. Melissa isn't here to take care of him, but you are. I knew her well enough to know she'd want him taken care of by someone that is trustworthy. I want you to adopt Sterling as your own. To do that we need to be married."

"So what are you saying then?" I looked at him curiously.

"I'm saying." he paused for a moment and got down on one knee. He pulled a box out of his pocket and opened it. It contained the emerald ring that was his mother's. The one I thought I lost in the accident. "Kaydence, marry me. Here tonight. I know it's cliché to get married in Vegas but we can keep it simple and have a big wedding after the baby comes."

"I-I thought that was gone." I looked in awe at the ring.

"I lied, I took it off when you were in a coma. After everything you deserved to have a real proposal." He responded. "So what do you say? Will you marry me and help me raise both of my children?"

"Of course!" I responded without hesitation.

He slipped the ring on my finger and stood up. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into a hug. "Good, cause I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing on this whole parenting thing."

I couldn't help but let out a small chuckle at his words. "We'll figure it out."

He pulled away from me and his icy blue eyes looked into my green ones. "Well, let's go get married."