I Can't Be F*cking Calm Right Now

Damon was silent as he took in the information that I had shared with him. Finally he spoke. "How early is early?" He asked.

"Any time really. He gave me medication to help stop the contractions and a shot to mature her lungs." I explained.

Damon was silent again. This was a time when I couldn't pick up on his emotions which worried me. If I couldn't tell what he was feeling then it was bad. I noticed his fist clenched which was the only hint I was given.

I watched him closely but it still surprised me to see him get out of the hospital bed. He began to rip the monitors off of himself. He was angry and clearly couldn't contain it anymore. I didn't expect anger to be a response from him on this. I thought he would be worried but a little excited.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Getting the fuck out of here!" He responded with a raised voice.

"Damon, you need to calm down." I stood up and tried to grab his arm but he shook me off of him.

"Calm down? You could go into labor and I'm in a fucking hospital bed! I can't be fucking calm right now!" His voice roared in anger. I knew it wasn't directed at me, but at our situation.

"It's going to be fine Damon." I tried to be as reassuring as I could but I didn't even know what was going to happen.

"I need to get the fuck out of here! I can't sit in this goddamn room anymore!" His voice remained raised. Calming him down didn't seem very likely at this point. "I have a business to run, a baby coming and I still have to figure out who the hell tried to kill me!"

"But you're not alone in any of that! I will help you figure out who it was but you need to avoid getting yourself worked up too much right now!" I responded. "I understand that you may be overwhelmed but this is what we've been dealt, it's not like we have a choice."

A couple nurses entered the room before he could say anything more. The machines were beeping uncontrollably and they were coming to make sure he was alright. "Mr. Tipton, we need to get everything hooked back up." I could tell the nurse that spoke was a little nervous.

"Damon, listen to them. Please." I spoke softly in hopes that it would help get him to listen to them.

"When the hell do I get out of here?" he asked the nurse in a cold tone. "I'm clearly fine and can take care of my wounds."

"I'm sorry Mr. Tipton, the doctor hasn't given us any orders for your discharge yet." It was clear in her voice she was still nervous and that she didn't want to be the one to deliver any news to him right now.

"Then get the fucking doctor in here!" Damon's voice practically shook the room. He seemed to have scared the nurses because they hurried out of the room.

"That is no way to talk to people." I crossed my arms over my chest. "I get that you're upset but treat others with a little respect."

"Respect?" Damon scoffed. "Maybe if they would respect my privacy and let me out of here they'd get it."

"You're better than that and you know it!" I responded.

"I just want out of this god forsaken hell hole! All I do all day is sit and think about what's happened to me!" I could see the anger and frustration in his eyes. "I want out of here so I can go on with my normal fucking life and actually do something to help the situation with Scarlett and myself!"

There was a knock on the door and the doctor entered the room. I could tell by his demeanor that the nurses had reported Damon's behaviour to him. He made sure he gave Damon his space as he stood back in the room. "Mr. Tipton, please sit down so we can talk."

"About what?" Damon asked in annoyance.

"The nurses informed me about you being upset that you're still here. What you've been through is a big thing." The doctor began but Damon cut him off.

"I know that." Damon's tone was harsh and cold. "Get to the fucking point, what do I need to do to get out of here? I have things I need to do."

The doctor let out a sigh. "I was actually going to discuss that with you. Your vitals seem to be fine and everything. I figured we would monitor for another twenty four hours, just to make sure that things stay good. You can go home Friday morning."

"Finally a fucking answer." Damon responded.

"Now Mr. Tipton I must ask you to control your outbursts towards my nurses. They're only doing the job that they've been assigned." I could tell in the doctor's voice this was the only warning he was giving Damon.

Damon gave him a sardonic smile. "Consider it done."

The doctor left the room after that. Damon seemed to begin to relax a little bit. I was frustrated with how he acted but now was not the time to discuss it. I didn't want to agitate him anymore. We could talk more in depth when he was home.

The nurse came in to hook him backup to the monitors. Thankfully he kept his mouth shut and allowed her to do her job. I headed for the door of the room. "I'm getting a drink, I'll be back." I spoke before stepping out.

I began to head down the hallway when a voice called out for me. "Mrs. Tipton." I turned around to see it was Damon's doctor. "Can I have a moment of your time?"
"Of course." I nodded as I closed the gap to give him my attention.

"Is he always that aggressive?" I could see the doctor was concerned about Damon's actions in the room.

"No." I answered. "Only when he's majorly upset and well, I did give him some stressful news about our daughter."

"I see." The doctor appeared to be thinking. "Your husband has gone through something very traumatic whether he wants to admit it or not."

"I understand." I nodded.

"Some patients after going through something similar can be mentally affected." The doctor spoke.

"Affected how?" I looked at him curiously as I waited for the answer.

"Well, for example he seems quite angry and aggressive at times. That hopefully should subside once he's home and can get back into his normal routine." He explained further. "He also could end up experiencing post traumatic stress disorder. With that he may experience some anxiety and nightmares. Even some depression."

I listened and took in the information. I could tell we had a few long weeks ahead of us.