Even The Silverware

We arrived at Martin's and I could feel a nervous pit in my stomach. It had been a week since he wanted us to set up dinner with the Bushemp's at his mansion. It took a little convincing to get us both on board. Martin was up to something but he wouldn't give details. It was just like when he was plotting what to do with Justin.

It was Friday so we sent Sterling to spend the night with my mother. He enjoyed spending time with my mother. She spoiled him so much. Their relationship had grown and it was amazing to watch. I was thankful that she was still here to be a part of our crazy life.

I looked around and noticed no other cars. I let out a small sigh to myself. I was a little relieved that the Bushemp's hadn't arrived yet. "Ready?" I asked as I gripped Damon's hand tighter.

"Yes." He responded. "Try to relax Love. Stressing isn't good for the baby."

"That's easier said than done." I spoke as we walked up the steps.

We rang the doorbell and waited for Davis to answer the door. "Welcome." Davis greeted once the door was finally opened.

Damon and I stepped inside and went to the living room where Martin was waiting for us. "Hello." Martin smiled as he sat in his chair. "How are you both?"

"We're fine." Damon answered shortly. He still irritated that this whole thing was taking place. He only had us come out of respect for his father.

"Just a little nervous about this dinner." I added.

Martin gave a small nod. "I can understand that. We will be civil unless provoked. They're here on our property, if anything starts I can have them removed quickly."

"Sir, the Bushemp's have pulled up and are approaching the door." Davis came in to give a warning before greeting them.

"Very well. Bring them in and we'll sit for dinner right away." Martin responded.

"Right away?" Damon raised a brow as he spoke. "You don't want to sit and socialize first? This was your idea and all, I figured you would want to catch up."

"What have I taught you?" Martin asked. Instead of waiting for Damon to answer he continued on. "I've taught you that it's polite to serve your guests before getting into conversations that could be heated."

Damon let out an annoyed sigh. "I'm aware. I was being sarcastic."

"Right this way." We heard Davis' voice from the hall. Then there were footsteps heading in our direction. Davis appeared in the doorway with the Bushemp's behind him. "Sir, are you ready to go to the dining room?" he asked Martin.

"Of course." Martin stood up from his chair and walked past Davis. Damon and I followed behind as he led the way.

Martin sat at the head of the table while Damon and I took seats next to each other. Meredith sat across from me and Alastair across from Damon. Damon glared at them both as they sat down. The tension between us and them was clear.

"Welcome to my home." Martin spoke to Meredith and Alastair. "Thank you for agreeing to dinner tonight."

"No problem. Thank you for having us." Meredith gave Martin a smile. "It's been awhile since we've seen you Martin. It'll be nice to catch up with the more respectful member of your family." She was clearly taking a jab at Damon.

"Davis." Damon called for Martin's butler.

"Yes Mr. Tipton?" Davis asked as he peeked in through the doorway.

"Please look over everything while we eat and then again before the Bushemp's leave. I know how desperate Meredith is, I'd hate for her to take something so she can afford her hotel room." Damon took a jab at her back. "Even the silverware, she seems like the type to take anything."

"Yes Mr. Tipton." Davis nodded and went on his way.

"Let's eat before we start addressing things." Martin spoke up before Damon or Meredith could go any further with their words.

Martin's staff hurried out to serve the meal that was prepared. Tonight we would be having some pork chops that were prepared perfectly. It was served with a mix of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. There was also a green salad and a roll. Martin had strayed away from serving anything he thought I didn't like or anything that seemed to upset the baby.

We all began to eat the food on our plates. It was silent and that was probably best for right now. If Meredith or Alastair spoke I knew it would probably get a reaction from Damon. I knew his comment was only the start and he would be worse towards them as the night progressed.

It stayed quiet until we all had finished and Martin hollered for the plates to be cleared. "Let's go into the living room." Martin got up from his chair and so did the rest of us.

I could feel myself get nervous as we made our way to the room. Things were about to get real. My hand remained in Damon's as we sat down on one of the couches. The Bushemp's took the other couch and Martin sat in his chair.

"So I heard you wanted to try to take my daughter in law to Dallas with you?" Martin looked between Meredith and Alastair.

"Yes." Meredith responded. "I feel like things came off bad last time. I want more time with her to prove we aren't as bad as she thinks we are. However your son is not helping our case. It's like he's brainwashing her into hating us."

"I can assure you that Kaydence isn't brain washed." Damon spoke up. "She's a big girl and she can make her own decisions."

"And I decided not to go. It's not smart. I'm pregnant and risk being stuck there the closer I get. I'm not leaving Nashville." I held a stern tone in my voice.

"Meredith, you can't blame my son for why Kaydence doesn't want to be around you. I heard you practically admitted to wanting to reconnect in hopes that Tipton Enterprises will take your company on again." Martin spoke. "We're not that stupid. I also don't know why you think my son would let his wife go with you. That was a stupid request. It seems you want to do it as a way to mess with his relationship."

"Well if I'm being honest I thought a marriage between our families would be wonderful. Your son is far from that." She glared at Damon. "If Kaydence came with me and cleared her head enough to leave him that's not my doing."

"My son doesn't like his relationship messed with." Martin looked over to Damon. "Why don't you tell them what you've done with your nephew and sister for meddling?"