G I R L I N T H E M I R R O R

Destiny:

"How are you Destiny? It's been a while since the two of us had a sit down." Doctor Stephanie greeted, a hearty smile displayed on her face. "Where do I start." I giggled, fixing my posture on the small couch in her office.

"I'm getting married this weekend." I grinned with excitement, "I know I've said it multiple times before, but congratulations Destiny. It's refreshing seeing you glow like this." Stephanie took notice to my happiness.

"Thank you. I truly feel at peace." I admitted aloud. Yes, planning a wedding drained me majority of the time, however the more time I spent finalizing the smallest details; the more impatient I grew waiting on that day to come— my special day.

"I don't want to stray from the fact that you're in a much better place than when we first started seeing one another. But, I must ask, how are you feeling about the passing of your father and not speaking to your mother?" She did it anyway, opening up her infamous notepad she often took notes in.

I allowed a light sigh to escape my mouth as my shoulders went up then down. "He's dead, gone. Nothing to think about, definitely nothing to talk about. And as for my mother, we no longer have a relationship." I explained.

Stephanie twisted her mouth to the side, her face portraying an uneasy expression. "Destiny, it bothers me that the passing of your father and the falling out with your mother doesn't bother you." She went on to say, "I know both of your parents caused you tremendous pain, but it isn't healthy that you have no feelings towards how that chapter of your story ended."

I thought about what my therapist had said. I suppose it's true; I'm quite comfortable with not speaking to my mother; in fact, it didn't feel like a falling out, but much rather a huge favor. The relationship between my mother and I was never healthy from jump. As for my father, hell was waiting on his arrival. What was there to be sad or even the slightest bit of conflicted about?

"Call me heartless Stephanie, but I no longer care for situations I cannot fix. She didn't even call me after getting my letter; what mother does that? Not even a text message." Tears pooled my eyes, causing me to look over at the window, feeling more neglected by the woman who gave birth to me.

Stephanie closed the notepad in her lap, scooting her chair closer to the couch I sat on. "Believe me when I say this; I am not trying to surface any wounds. But how can you feel "ok" with not having a father to walk you down the aisle or a mother to watch you as you marry the man put on this here earth for you?" She questioned, solemnly looking into my eyes.

As I thought about the question being asked, I soon realized that I wasn't ok with it— how that chapter of fixing things with both my parents ended. I was in fact avoiding the topic because I knew it would only ponder my mind. I didn't have time for that.

"Have you tried reaching out to your mother?" She asked, seeing as I still hadn't answered her previous question. "No, and I'm not going to." I responded honestly, my eyes showing all signs of seriousness to match my statement.

"This worries me, Destiny." Stephanie shook her head. "You've come so far." No lies detected there. I had indeed come a long way. However, just because I didn't have any emotion left to give to the subject of my parents; doesn't mean that I've taken 10 steps back... does it?

"I don't know what you want me to say or do." I rolled my eyes, lightly slapping my hand down on my thigh. I've done everything this woman has asked of me. I don't know what else to do, better yet, I have no energy left to try and mend anymore relationships— not with friends, not with family.