E M B R A C E F O R I M P A C T

Kross:

That same night Kross returned home, he was unable to comprehend what was being asked of him and Deedra. He didn't understand why he had to give consent for his fiancé to be put into a coma. He wasn't quite sure if he could stomach seeing Destiny hooked up to all those machines with tubes going down her throat. It wasn't fair— life wasn't fair.

"How are you holding up, baby?" His mother's soft voice spoke, walking from down the hall as he sat hunched over on the couch. Kross felt helpless when he made the decision to call his parents; informing them of the accident. Without a second thought, Giselle and Jamal were on the first flight out to Atlanta.

"I don't know ma." He shrugged, looking at the glass table in front of him. "KJ, we must pray on this." His mother sat beside him on the couch, placing one of his hands into her lap. "Pray?" His eyebrows frowned, "Seems like God been doing enough."

Giselle sighed, fully understanding where her son's frustration was coming from. "I know this is unjust baby, trust I do. But we have to keep positive thoughts. We all know Destiny is a fighter; she'll make it out on the brighter side by the grace of God." Kross desperately wanted to believe his mom's words, yet he couldn't. The situation at hand was unpredictable and completely out of his control.

"They need Deedra and I to come to an agreement, but I just can't see myself signing papers to have her put into a medically induced coma. I can't make no drastic decisions like that ma." He shook his head. "You're doing it for her and Kaleb. Whatever you decide may save the life that she's fighting for; remember that. Sleep on it. I'm sure you'll do the right thing KJ." Giselle kissed her sons cheek before removing her body from the couch, "Get some rest." She added, heading back down the hall to one of the guest rooms. This wasn't a walk in the park, and she felt for her only son, she felt for Destiny too.

Deciding not to let his own negative thoughts overshadow his mind, Kross allowed sleep to take over his body while he laid back on the couch.

The next morning things seemed to be regular programming as usual, except it wasn't Destiny in the kitchen preparing breakfast; it was his mother. "Morning! Are you hungry?" Giselle gave her son a warm greeting as she was waited for the toast to pop up from the toaster. "Not really. I'll grab some fruit."

"Where's Kaleb and Skylar?" He questioned, taking a moment to stretch his muscles. "Out in the backyard with their papa." She smiled, pointing out the window at Jamal and the kids, who were in full blown play mode at 10:30am. Though Kaleb was still very young and wouldn't understand what happened to his mommy, Skylar asked numerous questions about Destiny's whereabouts. It was already tough enough for her to transition from not seeing her own mother all the time. Giselle simply told her that Destiny would be back whenever she could— it was the closet thing to an answer, she thought cautiously.

As Giselle began preparing a bowl of mixed fruits for her son, the doorbell went off with a loud ring. Kross sighed, rubbing his eyes while he walked over to see who could be at his front door this early. To his surprise, it was Destiny's manager, Lynn, alongside another woman he wasn't familiar with.

"My apologies for showing up unannounced." Lynn gave him a faint smile. "I heard what happened and automatically remembered a conversation Destiny and I had a while back." Kross's face scrunched, he wondered what that conversation was about and why it brought Lynn here. "This is Patricia, Destiny's legal attorney."

Kross was taken back. He had no knowledge of Destiny meeting with an attorney. In the moment, he grew slightly upset. He thought something like that should have been brought to his attention but now wasn't the time to be mad. He wanted to know what the visit was about. "Where are my manners. Please, come in." He stepped to the side.

"Mr. Jackson is there somewhere you and I can talk privately?" Patricia questioned, holding on to her small brief case. The baby blue dress suit she wore went beautifully with her mahogany skin tone. Her luscious curls bouncing with each step she took. Kross nodded, showing her to his office.

He offered her a seat as he claimed his behind the desk. Patricia cleared her throat, unzipping the black brief case in her lap. "I won't prolong this conversation. I know you're dealing with a lot as it is." She made clear, pulling a sheet of paper into view. "A few months ago your fiancé contacted me. She wanted me to draw up a will for her." Patricia disclosed.

Kross clenched down on his teeth, a small vein appearing from his forehead as he allowed her to go on. "Though she wasn't expecting anything like this so sudden, she told me that I needed to personally hand you her will in case of... well, I don't need to go on." She let out a light sigh before handing over the white paper. Kross hesitated on taking it because he didn't want to see what was typed up on that paper. He didn't want to believe that their time together might possibly be coming to an end.

When he finally took the paper from Patricia's hand, a deep exhale left his mouth. His eyes scanned the paper as his mind read all the words.

The last will and testament of me, Destiny Jones.

I appoint my spouse, Kross Jackson, sole executrix and trustee of this, my will. If he should predecease me, we die together in a common accident, or he is no longer willing or capable of being the executrix and trustee, I appoint my sister, Deedra Jones, the executor and trustee of this, my will.

A wave of emotions attacked Kross as he couldn't find the strength to continue reading, especially not in front of a stranger. He tossed the sheet of paper onto his desk. "Is that all?" He rudely asked. Patricia nodded, standing from the chair. "Mr. Jackson, understand that you and your family are in prayers. Thank you for speaking with me." She slipped him a small smile then dipped out of his office.

Why can't you just give me an answer, a sign even, he thought to himself looking up at the white ceiling. The decision seemed much easier when everyone told him he had to make one. But now he was starting to second guess what to do. One part of him thought signing those papers might bring his fiancé back; while the other part thought she was long gone.

                                         - - -

Vote & comment! Thanks for reading!