B E Y O N D U S

The next day Kross agreed to meet up with Taylor so they could have a conversation. She also requested Destiny's presence which made Kross more on edge for some reason. His right hand gripped the steering wheel tightly as the two drove on the highway in silence. Destiny glimpsed over at his face every-so-often. She couldn't understand why he seemed irritated by Taylor wanting to have a discussion.

Twenty-minutes later, the two pulled up to a cafe, finding a decent parking spot close to the restaurants entrance. Kross turned the ignition off before quickly walking over to open his wife's door. "Babe," Destiny turned and stopped, "You good?" She looked into his eyes. He exhaled deeply then nodded, "I'm good. Let's go get this over with." He intertwined his hand with hers. When they got inside Taylor was signaling them over to the booth she had already reserved.

"Hey, thanks for coming." She greeted Kross and Destiny. "Thanks for having me?" Destiny chuckled while taking a seat beside her husband. Soon after a waitress came over to offer everyone refreshments. Kross looked at Taylor, waiting to hear what was so important it couldn't be talked about over the phone or at pick-up. "I already see that look so I'll cut straight to the chase." She fixed her posture.

"I've been thinking that it's time we adjust the custody agreement." She looked back and fourth at both Kross and Destiny. Kross sighed before clearing his throat, "Adjust how?" Skylar had gotten use to the schedule she was on living permanently with her daddy and Destiny then having weekends with her mom. He didn't want to do anything to disrupt that.

"Well, I was thinking that things should go back how they were prior. Skylar can come back to live with me in New York and you guys can have her every other summer and we'll make compromises on holidays." Taylor reasoned. Destiny turned to look at Kross. There was no expression on his face and that worried her. "Say something." She whispered, tapping his leg after a long beat.

"I don't want my daughter going back to live in New York, Taylor. I'm sorry." Kross was willing to put up a fight on this. "She's made friends at her new school. She likes her teachers, and you can't snatch her away from her siblings like that." He was becoming more infuriated at the thought of Skylar living miles away in another state. "Friends?" Taylor's head jerked, "Those are the same kids that make fun of her for having multiple parents, please."

Destiny could sense the conversation getting intense and decided to insert herself. "Okay, y'all let's not get worked up in public. We're all grown and you two should be able to come to an understanding agreement." She looked at her husband then at Taylor. "I'm cool with you wanting custody back, but moving her to New York? It's a no for me." He still wouldn't bulge on the idea. "Why are you fighting me on this? I allowed you to move her here." Taylor was slightly annoyed.

"Yea, after you fucking chose drugs over her." He reminded. "Hey! That was avoidable." Destiny slapped his chest. It was a low-blow towards Taylor and wasn't necessary, especially after she's made the changes needed to be a better person and mother. "No, it's fine, Destiny. You're right, Kross. You had to pick up where I shitted, and I can never thank you enough for being there when she needed a reliable parent. However, I refuse to let you hold that over my head. I'm almost a year into sobriety and I have no intensions of relapsing. I love my daughter and I want her to be with me, that's all." Taylor's eyes grew watery. She didn't expect it to be this hard.

"I hear you Taylor, I really do. I'm just not feeling the idea too much. Why you want to leave Atlanta anyways? I thought you were looking to buy a house and all that?" Kross took a sip of his ginger-ale. He didn't want to seem like he cared about her business, but he did want to know why Taylor wanted to suddenly pack up and leave. She cut into her well done steak before taking a slice into her mouth. Destiny sat there hoping things wouldn't get heated again. She believed they could come to a fifty-fifty agreement without getting lawyers and the court involved.

"Emmi got offered a job in New York that would be more beneficial to her career." Taylor responded. Kross's face immediately turned sour, "You're trying to move my daughter from me for your relationship? Yea, you got me fucked up." He got ready to pull out his wallet but was stopped by his wife's hand. "Listen to what she has to say." Destiny was trying her best not to leave the table with tensions still high. "Firstly, don't say it like that. Emmi and I have been together for a pretty long time. Secondly, I'm not moving her away from you because of that. You do know my mom still resides in that state, right?" Taylor pointed.

"Her health isn't up to par and she's been getting more sick as of lately. You never know the minute nor the hour, Kross. All I'm trying to say is, Skylar and I have missed a lot of time away from her. Before you came into the picture it was literally just us. I don't want her feeling like we abandoned her." She explained. Kross silently cursed himself after hearing what Taylor shared. "I apologize for how I reacted before, and I'm sorry to hear that about your mom." His words were sincere. "Me, too." Destiny chimed in.

"I get it. Thank you." Taylor used a napkin to wipe the corners of her eyes. "I wholeheartedly did not want to do this." She went on to express, "Even-so, I still have to make the right decisions, as her mother. Don't you think I have that right?" She directly stared at Kross. There was a pause in the conversation as silence took over the table. "You do." He finally answered, leaning back into his seat for support. "Look, I don't know how we gon' settle on it, but we'll figure something out... the adult way." He assured.

"That's all I can ask for." Taylor nodded. Destiny gave her husband a pat on the back. He was man enough to put his feelings to the side because he respected Elaine, Taylor's mother and felt Skylar should be able to spend that time with her grandmother before it was too late— however, Kross wasn't sure if his heart would allow him to compromise being miles away from his daughter.

- - -

Thanks for reading! 💕

VOTE + COMMENT!