U N E X P E C T E D G U E S T

That Sunday morning everyone gathered for Ashanti's funeral. It still felt as if I were dreaming. To see everyone gathered to say their final goodbyes truly sadden my heart. There is suddenly an empty spot in your world... whether or not you directly motivated the creation of that empty spot, it will still be there, missing that void. Ashanti was that void for me.

When I got back to Atlanta, the first thing I did was go see Mrs. Davis, Ashanti's mother. I expressed my deepest condolences for the loss of her daughter. Mrs. Davis then disclosed that Ashanti was going through financial problems which came as a shock because she never said anything. But I was to be blamed for not being a good best friend.

She probably needed a listening ear to vent to; using the most absurd things as a cry for help. Instead, I was too busy caught up with my own life. I didn't stop and take the time out to think about her cry's for help being more than just about her breakup with Hakim. I didn't stop to think about how she may have cried herself to sleep at night or contemplated ending her life.

In a time of need, I wasn't the friend she could depend on. And I'll have to live with that for the rest of my life. "You okay?" Kross wrapped his hand around my waist. I nodded, adjusting the sunglasses on my face. We sat in the second row behind Mr. and Mrs. Davis, Ashanti's older sister, Charmaine, and her grandmother. Cleo and I held hands as the pastor began to speak.

Listening to the words he spoke did something to me. It made me stop, focus on the moment, and come to my senses. It's okay to take a day off and be with the ones you love and care for because you never know when it's they're last time being with you. Before the service ended, everyone was given white roses to place on the beautiful turquoise casket.

Cleo and I continued to lean on one another for support. We both tossed our roses onto her casket, saying our final goodbyes. When her casket lowered into the ground, my heart stopped for what felt like a near-death experience. "I'm sorry" I found myself repeating in my head. I feel accountable for her not being here today. I feel like I could've done more to better her mental health as a friend, a sister.

I wish life had a rewind button. I made a mistake not being there for a friend in-need. Now, I'm living with the consequences. I stood at the gravesite a while longer; trying to free myself of all the guilt eating at me inside. But this is guilt that wouldn't leave so easily. When I walked over to Kross's truck, he was standing on the passenger side, waiting for me.

"You ready to go?" He asked. "Yeah, let me just say bye to Ashanti's family and Cleo." I told him. He nodded, watching me to walk over to the small group. The conversation between them seized at my presence. "Thank you for coming, Destiny." Mrs. Davis spoke. I nodded, "Of course. Ashanti will be missed because she was dearly loved." I expressed.

"And we're here for the family if you all ever need anything." Cleo added. I smiled, shaking my head in agreement. Ashanti's parents thanked us then disappeared to converse with remaining family and friends, leaving Cleo and I there standing alone.
"Today was a lot." She sighed. "Yes, ma'am." I agreed, "She's really gone." My voice had cracked. "She's with us in spirit." Cleo slipped me a faint smile.

Right as the two of us were about to go our separate ways, two unexpected guests approached us. "Destiny. Cleo." Hakim greeted, holding a dozen red roses. Piece of shit. He knew she was going through financial problems and what does he do to add to her stress? Break up with her. Men are so pathetic. "Hey, ladies." Quan finally decided to speak.