A F T E R T H E S T O R M

Almost a month later:

Hearing the news of Quan being alive came as a shock to everyone. But, hearing that he was arrested earlier this week for a ring of criminal activities— one of which included kidnapping; caused everyone to be at the edge of their seats. Once police released Taylor from where she was being held; they asked her a ton of questions— questions she couldn't answer because her bipolar disorder only worsened.

Kross thought it would be best to have her checked into a facility in order to get her mind right. Sending her back to New York knowing she wasn't in the state to even take care of herself wasn't something he wanted to do. He had the full support of his fiancée; as well as their close friends and family.

Today, Quan is due in court to hear what his final judgement would be. When the judge asked him if he had any words of forgiveness for anything he's been committed of; he smiled an evil grin. Judge Washington labeled Ja'Quan Smith a menace to society, sentencing him to life in prison without parole.

He didn't seem to care that he would be spending the rest of his life in a maximum security prison; however, for his little sister Jhade, she sat in the packed courtroom with tears falling from her eyes. She wasn't crying because of the fact he was being sent away— but rather because she was the reason for him being in the orange jumpsuit and shackles.

She couldn't even look him in the eyes when he turned around to look at her. She felt sick to her stomach; but also felt as if her hand was forced. Her brother has a lot of demons that she could only pray he would battle the proper way; but for now— jail seemed like the only thing able to tame him in some kind of way.

"You did what you had to do." Destiny spoke, touching Jhade's shoulder. She scoffed, "Then why does it feel like I betrayed the only human in my corner?" No words were exchanged afterwards. Jhade went her separate way as Destiny did the same. She wasn't sure why she was at the hearing; but she wanted to be present.

A part of her felt at ease knowing he was no longer on the loose with a motive to kill, but the other part of her wanted to save him. It was clear as day he had issues— the look in his eyes, the grin on his face when the judge banged the gavel. Any feeling of compassion and sympathy that Quan may of had before was now completely gone.

But in life, she knew all too well that you couldn't help a person who didn't want to help themself— it just wasn't possible. As she got closer to her truck after making it through the crowded courthouse, her phone rang nonstop. Retrieving the phone from her pocket, she swiped across to answer; seeing it was her mama.

She figured Trina was calling to finally talk about the letter she had written. But, she thought wrong because after answering the call; Trina said, "He's gone. Your daddy passed this morning." Her hoarse voice managed to let out from the other end of the line. For a millisecond, Destiny stopped in her tracks. "Is that what you called to tell me?" She asked.

"Yes." Trina admitted truthfully, causing Destiny to scoff as she got inside her truck. "What do you want me to do, cry? I'm not sad. In fact, it's a relief hearing the bastard is finally gone." Destiny said. "How could you say that?" Her mom questioned in disbelief. "Ma, how can you continue acting blind? I know you read my letter. Do I not deserve some sort of apology...huh!?" She snapped.

"I-I can't do this. Not right now." Trina stated before hanging up quickly. Destiny's chest went up and down; she tossed her phone over to the passengers seat, pulling out of the parking lot. She didn't want to think about it, because then she'd be practically begging her mother for the apology she longed for.

She didn't have any tears left to continue crying about the situation— or maybe she just didn't care to. Either way; Destiny had to push all of that behind her because she was scheduled to meet with her wedding planner for the first time today. Kross agreed to meeting her at the office after he got done with a business meeting.

When she arrived at the office, she got out her truck, making sure the doors were locked. Walking into the building, typing away at her screen caused her to bump into a tall figure, nearly sending her to the ground but the guy caught her hand just in time. "I am so sorry, miss." He spoke.

Destiny knew that voice. She removed the sunglasses from her face, "Dontae?" She looked up at him. "Oh, shit! Des-licious!" He embraced her in a tight hug. "Gosh, how long has it been?" She asked, smiling. "Too long." Dontae stated. "You're back in Atlanta?" She questioned, surprised to see him back here— where his NBA career first started.

He licked his lips, touching his beard that he had managed to successfully grow over the last year or so. "Yeah, yeah I am." He nodded, "After I got injured; I took some time off to get myself and my mind right." He disclosed. "Oh, my god, Dontae. I've been such a horrible friend to you." Destiny mentally smacked herself in the head.

He chuckled, "It's all good. Everyone has their own life." He shrugged. "Congrats on everything by the way. Model and mom...wow." He said. "And, soon-to- be wife." She held her left hand up in the air, giggling. "Ok! I see you. Well, congratulations on your engagement. I'm happy for you." He took a moment to look into her eyes.

"Thank you. Ugh! It's been like forever. We should catch up some time." She suggested. "I look forward to it." He shook his head, agreeing to catch up. "Take care of yourself, Des-licious." He smiled before hugging her once again. "You ain't never gon drop that nickname, huh?" She laughed. "Nope. You'll always be my Des-licious." He smirked, exiting the building.

  - - -

Heads up! Only a few more chapters left in this book.

Thoughts on the chapter?

Vote & comment. Thanks for reading! 🥰