W A K I N G U P

I was in a medically induced coma for approximately four weeks. The coma itself isn't much to talk about— there was a gap in my memory, even from before it happened. I could barely remember the accident that brought me here in the first place. Waking up from it is such a different story though.

Doctor Richards informed me that I was in fact; fully dosed by painkillers and sedatives and whatnot— I was basically high as a kite and since the trauma I suffered was very serious, my brain constructed very divergent, vivid dreams that I'm still fully able to  recall. Waking up was like the shallow sleep when you're semi-aware of your surroundings but you're also half dreaming. At some point I realized that I needed to wake up, but didn't know how.

I remember there were serval timelines concurrently going on in my head; as crazy as it sounds, and I could not determine which one was the correct one to wake into... turns out none of them was the correct one, although some fragments of reality were presented in each of them, I didn't have a conscious or any other control over choosing between them. It's not like I chose my reality, it's more like those delusional ones receded eventually.

"You haven't touched your food." Kross stated, looking down at the plate of eggs and toast placed in front of me. "Don't really have an appetite." I shrugged. He leaned in forward, moving the tray of food. A sigh escaped his lips as he claimed a seat at the edge of the bed, holding my hand.

"I just want you to be ok." He voiced, overly concerned with my mental health. He was giving me the exact same soul staring look I often got from my therapist, Stephanie when she was attempting to read me. I shook my head, looking down at my natural nails. "I feel like I missed so much." In a matter of four weeks; everything in my life seemed to fully function without my presence.

"That's not true." He cupped my face in the palm of his hands, scooting closer to me. "You can't control what happened to you, baby. It wasn't your fault and you're here now, that should count for everything." A single tear fell from my eye and as if on cue, Kross used his thumb to swat it away. "You never left my side." I mumbled, feeling a sudden wave of sadness.

"Now you know I wasn't bout to have my baby sittin' up in no hospital by herself." He made a silly face; causing me to chuckle then playfully roll my eyes. "Kross Elija Jackson, you are the perfect man." I smirked, looking deeply in to his chestnut colored eyes. You never know how much you can miss someone until you spend some time apart— it can either be for the good of things or a reality check.

He chuckled at my statement, his eyes never leaving mine, "You don't understand how soothing it is to hear your voice right now." I felt my face heat up, I couldn't hide my blushing even if I tried. There was a small pause as a bazar idea crossed my mind.

"Let's get married soon." The words flowed right off my tongue before I even got the chance to process them. Kross knitted his eyebrows together, "You serious?" He questioned. I took a moment to think; I mean, our actual wedding date had to be postponed due to unfortunate events. "I am. I feel like I've been waiting on our wedding day forever. I don't need the fancy venue or big white gown. I just need my closest friends and family, and my groom, of course." A light chuckle slipped out.

"You're sure about this?" He raised an eyebrow, "I mean, you were planning such an extravagant wedding. I wouldn't want to take that from you baby. Also, keep in mind that you're health comes first." He reasoned, still sitting mere inches apart from me. I exhaled; being that he had a point. There was no need for us to rush exchanging vows and saying I do— however, I was impatiently waiting to officially become Mrs. Jackson.

"Look babe," He sat up straight, making serious eye contact, "Don't think I'm not heartily waiting to make you my wife, but there's time. We shouldn't rush getting married because it's a day that we'll want to remember forever. Let's focus on getting you out of this hospital bed and home; where you belong. Ok?" I nodded, giving him a closed mouth smile. Kross was right— there was no reason to rush tying the knot; regardless of the circumstances. We've made it through crazier times.

We shared a light kiss followed by a hug just before nurse Morales came entering the room. "Hope I'm not interrupting anything." She smiled, reading over my chart. "No, not at all." I said, waiting for her to do her regular routine which consisted of my vitals being checked. Kross stood to the side as she did her job, making sure everything was looking up to par.

"Are you feeling lightheaded or any dizziness?" Nurse Morales questioned, using a small flashlight to shine in my eyes. "No." I answered honestly. "Ok. Everything is looking good. Another nurse will be in to check on you again within the next few hours. If you need anything, just press the button for assistance." She removed the latex gloves from her hands, making sure to wash and sanitize them.

"Thank you, Nurse Morales." I slipped her a hearty smile. I've been awake for a total of thirteen hours and Nurse Morales definitely made a good impression. She was one of the nice nurses here at the hospital— she didn't give you an unnecessary stank attitude. She was attentive and patient, probably why they made her head nurse. "Do you have any idea when she'll be able to be discharged?" Kross asked her.

"I'm not sure about that one. Perhaps Dr. Richards might have some insight. Until then, please get some rest and stay hydrated Ms. Jones." Nurse Morales spoke truthfully while giving me tips that would most likely speed up my recovery and discharge process. After she left the room, Kross and I continued to make small talk. We even called the kids on FaceTime which brought tears of joy to my eyes.

Skylar went on and on about her new toys and how much she misses me, meanwhile Kaleb repeatedly shouted "mama" in the camera. Seeing the kids absolutely brought me to a great level of happiness. Though the untimely accident caused an unbearable level of sorrow; the come back is always greater than the setback.

   - - -

It's the random late night update fa me..🌚
Thoughts on this chapter?

Vote + Comment 💕